Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

68 f100 360 fe build

I have a 68 f100 that was given to me by my uncle the truck has been sitting for about ten years the motor was rebuilt just before it was parked. Being that it has sat for so long I am planning on replaceing all the gaskets valve springs and rings just want to know what else some of you think i should do thanks for all your help

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
hard to say..if the engine was rebuilt & ran well & as you say it was.ill pull the plugs fill all cylinders with marvels mystery oil & let it sit about a week.then go out & hand crank the motor several revolutions.if it turns over ill change oil, & filter install new plugs points & condensor, cap & rotor,wires if needed & go from there.& fire it up & let it run a good bit.ive had a great deal of successs getting motors runing after sitting.long term.but thats is me.im sure others will have something to say about it.grant it you taking a chance..but you did say it was a rebuilt unit so im assuming the motor still is in decent runing cond.i dont know all the particulars of how the truck ran when it was rebuilt,where it sat,condition of carb,dist.ect.you may have no option but to rebuild it as well.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I've never had any trouble getting one going again after sitting for several years. Honestly you may not even need to replace the gaskets.

I always just take the spark plugs out and put some oil in the cylinders and fire the damn thing up. never had any trouble.

primetime

sawmill slave
I agree. Get it running and go from there. If it starts consuming oil, go from there.

oldandbroke

Texas Chapter member
I have that exact truck 1968 F 100, 360, C6. It had sat for 10 years. hand cranked engine. turn over with starter to get oil pumping. Sprayed a little gas in the carb and it started. Rebuilt carb, clean fuel lines and replaced fuel filter. Gas and sea foam in tank. plugs, points, condenser, rotor, rotary cap, wires, and it cranked right up. run very quiet.
It did have breather and all caps in place while it had sat for ten years.
Go for it and see how it runs..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts