Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

interior trim covered by warranty?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My father bought an '07 Focus new back in July, and it's got maybe 8k miles on it now.

Happened to notice today that the hard plastic trim piece around the manual gearshift has cracked, right where the front of the gearshift boot attaches to it. Crack is maybe 1.5" long.

Would something like that be covered under the basic bumper-to-bumper warranty? I don't think this is the result of someone doing anything they shouldn't have, but I can certainly see Ford not covering cracked interior panels on the grounds that they're usually the result of abuse.

Thanks!

blacksnapon

Staff member
You shouldn't have any problems. We have gone as far as replacing someones floor mats because they wouldnt stay in place. Defective parts is defective parts.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Great, thanks.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
There shouldn't be a problem. But you do get some dealers that may give you trouble (like mine) If thats the case try another place.

F150

easy
I'll say it will depend on the dealer, and the mood the service writer is in........ Something like a cracked plastic part may be considered abnormal abuse.

(youcouldhavedroppedsomethingonit)

But, if the service writer got laid last night, and the dealer hasn't gone over their quota of warranty repairs for the month, you should be fine.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
He's been buying cars at this dealer for 30 years, and they've done all the services including oil changes, too. They tend to treat him pretty well.

We'll have to see, I guess. I doubt he'll take it in for that; have to wait for the next oil change.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I shouldn't post this cause it's off topic, but I grinned from ear to ear when I realized the professional experts gave a resounding 'maybe.'

Ryan

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
oh, I definately understand what you mean. I just couldn't help grinning.

Ryan

I grin all the time when I bring someones car in I know, Dealer doesn't always like it though, I tell them to deal with it, gotta take car of the friends and family. smiliegitrdone

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Just as an update, our dealer installed the replacement piece today under warranty, without any fuss whatsoever. (Dad's, uh, a little slow-moving on some stuff sometimes. :rolleyes:)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts