Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Explorer Concept Vehicle

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wow I didn't even bother reading smilietease

The concept is also a demonstration platform of sorts for Ford's new EcoBoost family of engines. Formerly known as TwinForce (and seen at last year's Detroit show in the Lincoln MKR Concept), the EcoBoost engines provide the power of larger engines while achieving 20-30 percent gains in fuel-economy, according to the automaker. Initially, this family will consist of a 2.0-liter inline-four making 275 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque, and a 3.5-liter V-6 expected to make some 340 horsepower and over 340 lb-ft of torque.

The EcoBoost engines use a combination of direct-injection and turbocharging to provide the power of a larger engine (Ford likens the turbo-four to a V-6 and the turbo-six of a V-8).

Those numbers depress me :( My 5.8L V8 puts out 210hp and 325ft-lbs in stock form :p

It also mentions that it uses a new Electric power steering... Sounds cool, I'd like to see how it works.

Fellro

Staff member
A lot of cars already have the electric steering, I am still waiting to see how well that survives... hope they have some kind of direct link. I think it is more electric assist than true fly by wire, but who knows, the Powerstrokes have been fly by wire tech since the first one was built, so it isn't exactly unproven...
I'm with the rest of you, good thing it is just a concept, not a production vehicle...

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the electric steering is already on the 08 escapes and has been on the escape hybrids. it uses an actuator on the steering gear that is controlled by the pcm i believe. no direct link whatsoever.

oh yeah and on the concept truck........:thatwasgay:

Last edited:

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Hmmm. as far as styling goes, I've seen a lot worse. Looks kind of Land-Roverish. As far as the technology goes- think $4/gal gas, and what the public is willing to do to get power and mileage.

Electric Power Steering is in the Cobalt, Malibu (4 cyl), and HHR. Works fine, but seems kinda numb and vague compared to traditional designs.

lol, yes, the concept explorer is rediculously ugly, has a nice interior for gamers (or so id assume, being a gamer and all and like dark colors with green)

But no, never would i want one

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
The interior designer must have a serious personal problem when he drives, namely getting lost, and he must feel that thousands of other Americans suffer from the exact some problem. Who else would put such a ridiculously huge and gaudy compass like that right in the middle of the dashboard.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts