Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Winter Time / Snow on the Ground / Poor Traction / Help

:headbang: My Son has an 07 FX2 with the Triton Motor...He presently has a Wide Tread Tire ( 275 / 55R / 20 ) the tread design has groves on the edges with a 4" semi bald strip down the centre...The Trucks seats leaning towards the front. Which to me says absolutely no weight to the rear wheels and yes it's hopeless in the snow, just seating in the truck and saying the word doesn't help...The Tires are supposed to be an All Season but judging from their performance I say it ain't so...Having said all that, any suggestions on Tire Brand and Size. The Truck seats more than it's driven as my Son's job takes him away from home 6 wks at a time....I had thought of adding weight in the box but I'm afraid of that coming loose and causing more grief....Thanks

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That's how 2wd pick ups work. I had to live with it in my 94 for years and years. I always added 6-7 sand bags in the back and it did help with the initial bite when trying to start moving. It didn't cause me any headache when I actually got moving, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Are you looking for a full time tire, or just something to throw on for a few months? My old truck really improved grip in the snow when I got the Dueler All Terrains Revo.

Ryan

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Yup, weight in the back and snowtires. Truthfully I'm surprised to see a 2WD truck in your neck of the woods. That'd be one rare rig in the Pacific Northwest.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Also, if you're considering buying a new tire, we'd invite you to click through a tire rack link here on FTF before you make your purchase. The commissions help keep that server switch in the "On" position! There is a link in the right most column of our homepage.

Ryan

Yup, weight in the back and snowtires.
X2

also, if ya wanna spend some money, an aftermarket hitch assembly and a topper/camper shell adds a bit of functional weight, and then you can keep all your junk in there somewhat secured. though without a topper, if you get a big dump of snow, your bed will be full of snow weight :)

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
yes those tires r a joke . People think they r cool because of huge rims but they r no good . Get set 17" steel rims (its the smallest can go and tries r cheaper ) and some real tires . Ad weight just make box and wedge it in in front wheel wells

Fellro

Staff member
Wider is bad news in the snow, unless it is mud type cleats on them. When I had a 2wd, I had a heavy plank across behind the wheel well,s then had some front end weights and an old 6 cylinder diesel head that I carried, made a lot of difference. I always run open tread tires. I live in the country, so I have to be able to dig through the snow and mud, so every vehicle gets open tread tires.

racsan

4xford
I just added more weight to mine, its cold and supposed to get colder, more snow supposed to come in, truck is parked in such a way that the back end is higher than the front, i took water out in a 3 gallon stock pot and kept adding until it filled the front and started coming out the back, probly about 4" deep at the front of the bed. it should freeze solid tonight and im guessing ive got about 50 more pounds in the back now. will be intresting to see if its a noticeable differance.

Holy post from the past Batman, lol. I gotta say, I think I missed the boat a bit with my answer... So to rectify, I'd recommend getting some Hankook Ipikes or similar snow tire, maybe mount them on some steel rims. You could try just doing the rear tires... And maybe get a set of chains, and keep a couple shovels handy, old shingles can work as a traction aid in a pinch, rough side down.

I just added more weight to mine, its cold and supposed to get colder, more snow supposed to come in, truck is parked in such a way that the back end is higher than the front, i took water out in a 3 gallon stock pot and kept adding until it filled the front and started coming out the back, probly about 4" deep at the front of the bed. it should freeze solid tonight and im guessing ive got about 50 more pounds in the back now. will be intresting to see if its a noticeable differance.

Just my opinion ( from a place with no snow) but the water needs to be in the back of the bed not the front. And a block that big will take a while to melt when you don't want it.

Holy post from the past Batman, lol. I gotta say, I think I missed the boat a bit with my answer... So to rectify, I'd recommend getting some Hankook Ipikes or similar snow tire, maybe mount them on some steel rims. You could try just doing the rear tires... And maybe get a set of chains, and keep a couple shovels handy, old shingles can work as a traction aid in a pinch, rough side down.

Seems to be revived on the same day every year.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts