Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

62 F250 4X4 Transmission conversion

I just bought a 1962 F250 4X4 in great shape. Has a 390FE, T-18 w/granny low, and the divorced transfer case. I'm looking for an older 5 spd heavy duty transmission to replace the 4 spd thats in the truck. Does anyone know of a particular transmission I can bolt up to the 390 and get some overdrive action? The DANA 44 axles are geared with 4.55's and the engine is screaming at 50mph. I have 245/75R16 LT on now, but will upgrade to bigger tires soon. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

primetime

sawmill slave
I would get in touch with Advance Adapters, or somebody similar, and check into the feasibility of installing a NV 4500. They were installed in 90`s Chevy and Dodge trucks, have a granny gear, overdrive, and most importantly, a removable bellhousing. It would require a married transfer case, but that`s hardly a disadvantage, at least in my opinion.
FEs have different bellhousing pattern than 460s and 351s, so without an adapter plate (if anybody makes one), putting a ZF 5-speed in won`t work because the don`t have removable bellhousings.
Hope this helps.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I just bought a 1962 F250 4X4 in great shape. Has a 390FE, T-18 w/granny low, [confused] and the divorced transfer case.
Engine and trans have been swapped. Originally it was either a 223 or 262 I-6 or a 292 2V. The 4 speed would have been a Warner T-98.

Fellro

Staff member
With a divorced case, you just get a 2wd and make a new intermediate drive shaft, so it would not mandate a married transfer case, just have to watch the length. But I agree with Adnvaced Adapters, as I know they have FE to GM bells available for the 700R4 and NV4500. They seem to be big NV4500 advocates.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts