Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Failed cam on 2004 5.4 Triton Engine

I had the cam lobe fail on the first cylinder on the passenger side of the engine. It took out the cam follower and spread metal throughout the engine causing the cam bearing caps to score. I am certain the metal got into the main bearings as well as the old oil when stirred showed metal flakes throughout.

Is anyone aware of this being a chronic problem on this engine. I have a friend who had the same problem on his 2004 at 100,000 miles. Mine failed at 118,500. Is anyone aware of Ford helping out in these cases.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I was not aware of a problem like this, but maybe one of our Ford Master Techs will chime in.

Ryan

The only thing I know of is that the 2004 and 2005 model years are not interchangeable internal engine components. If you had some repairs done, like cam phasers and they did it right and changed the followers, but used the wrong model year followers, it would cause this type of damage. If not, then there was nothing I am aware of that causes this other than poor lubrication or crappy oil.

I worked as a Ford Cert. Tech for many years and took a vacation in another industry from 01-2010. To be honest I am glad I am back out of that industry hopefully forever.

I hope that helps

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Shawn says,I worked as a Ford Cert. Tech for many years and took a vacation in another industry from 01-2010. To be honest I am glad I am back out of that industry hopefully forever.

I hear ya bud i to feel this way.new technology is great till it breaks,then get the $$$$$ out.love my Fords but get out of them before you rack up the miles.love my classic cheap & easy to fix for the most part.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts