Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone recommend a good multipurpose jack?

hi everybody, so new to the diesel/full-size game, was looking at the Hi-Lift style jacks, but I'm pretty sure my longbed/reglar cab F350 is too much for those, thought I saw a heavier-duty version somewhere, no luck yet searching the interweb. I do have the stock bottle jack, but I was hoping to get something else, interested what other have used with good results, thanks.

I'd get a decent size hydraulic bottle jack and call it good; Thats what I did but so far I haven't had to use it, even put in the same spot for the factory one..

Fellro

Staff member
The high-lift jacks will work, but are not the safest in my opinion, they fall over easy. Be best to get either a bottle jack or floor jack. Depends on your other uses, as in other vehicles, you may be better served by a regular rather than low profile floor jack. I have both, and on trucks, the low profile does the job, but with not much lift left over. When I do transmissions, I go for as much height as I can get, and the low profile won't do then.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid
The handyman jacks are dangerous to say the least. I have a few of them ,they want to kick out but are very handy to have one on hand to pull or separate thinks and they will lift also.
A bottle jack or floor jack is your best bet.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm with Roger...only place a Hi-Lift jack has is in an emergency situation on the trail (not bad as a hand held winch either). They're awkward to deal with and not very stable, even with the larger base plate, IMO. I'd go with a standard 3-ton (minimum) floor jack with 20-22" of lift. Also invest in a good set jack stands...I wouldn't rely on a couple 1 cent o-rings.

thanks for all the input. I was leaning towards the hi-lift style because of it's "off-road" capabilities. 3-ton Floor jack would be handy, unless I'm in a ditch, lol.
Probably make do with the stock jack for now, and hope I don't need it...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
3-ton Floor jack would be handy, unless I'm in a ditch, lol

I can't think of a jack out there that I would trust if I were in a ditch, so IMO that's moot. A couple strips of ply wood can do wonders for floatation with a floor jack. For the record, in my Bronco, all I carried was a craftsman 3-ton floor jack, and unless you're in mud up to your ankles or higher, it'll do just fine without the ply wood in any condition.

Agreed, I've carried a 3 ton floor jack as well; But as I've gotten oder and lazier (sp) I've stated leaning toward the bottle you can get 5 or 10 ton rated on and still take up less space in the truck than a floor jack..

Now if your pulling an engine or trans, then a floor jack is most definitely a usefull almost need tool...

Fellro

Staff member
Main key is to lift on something that can take it, like axles, control arms, frames and the like. Do not try to lift a little car by the rocker panel with one(if you can actually get it under them..)

I have used the hi-lift to get me out of a ditch before, by using their tipping tendency.... Got hung up, so I would lift it, then push it over, and got myself out that way.

my thought with the Hi-Lift style is that you can throw a strap around a tree, another going to the vehicle and use it as a come-along, however my trucks really too heavy from what I've read.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
i will position a piece of steel {like what mark above suggested} & sandwich it between the frame & lifting portion of the bottle & center it all up,making sure the bottle is directly under the frame.and by all means use a jack stand if you have to get under it.never raise on a hill or incline & make sure you are on solid ground before you lift.

Last edited:
Main key is to lift on something that can take it, like axles, control arms, frames and the like. Do not try to lift a little car by the rocker panel with one(if you can actually get it under them..)

Agreed on all points, I use a piece of 2x between the jack and the frame..

I have used the hi-lift to get me out of a ditch before, by using their tipping tendency.... Got hung up, so I would lift it, then push it over, and got myself out that way.

Hehehehe, yep yep..

I cut some 3 1/2 " squares out of some 1/2" flat bar. About 12 of them.
They work great for keeping the piston from crushing into the wood when I'm jacking floors in houses.

Big difference between a house and a truck though.. (I know you know this, but I still had to point it out though)

my thought with the Hi-Lift style is that you can throw a strap around a tree, another going to the vehicle and use it as a come-along, however my trucks really too heavy from what I've read.

You can but I wouldn't get one just because of that, a come a lonng woks just as good and takes up less room..

well, now I gotta price out come-alongs! lol
I need some more junk in the bed anyway, to offset all that engine weight.

Ford Truck Articles