Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new toy 85 f350 XL 2wd 4speed 176k

Well didn't get much time to tinker.fuel leak all over trans x member area. Dead batteries. Still retaining factory water seperator. I also think I will have to address the glow plug system..get some battery pwr 1st then see if I have fuel and check plugs..
Worst spots on the cab are the cab corners. It needs a good cleaning. Not too bad for 25+ years. Second owner only put 6000 miles on it.
That's it for now I guess.
Tried to upload a pic. I was only able to get some in the gallery.

Last edited:
Its Alive!!!

Went to visit the truck on sat.. Put a good battery in it. Started testing for the suposed bad glow plugs and I found at least 4 good ones...HMMMM PO thought they were all dead, they suspected the controller failed again..
SO I turned the key on and the glow plugs were cycling on and off.
She started a little hard, mice in tail pipe, sitting long time, and maybe not all glow plugs working.
Just played with the pedal a little while cranking and varoom..
The glow plugs never stopped cycling on and off , so I just pulled the conector on the solenoid..problem solved for now..
Coughed out a few insulation balls , but seems to run fine..Quieter and tighter sounding than my old 86 6.9.
Just have half the dash and heat/AC ducts ripped apart cleaning out the mess...
Hopefully I can pop the cap off the heater box from the engine bay side and wash that sucker out somehow

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
is this the new toy

2011-10-12_19_00_56.jpg

keep us updated on the progress

whoa, pretty clean lookin'
watch out for Huntavirus from those mice!
on the plus side 6.9's run forever...

is this the new toy

keep us updated on the progress
Yup! Thanks for the pic. For some reason I had trouble posting it from the phone.

whoa, pretty clean lookin'
watch out for Huntavirus from those mice!
on the plus side 6.9's run forever...
Thanks for the heads up on the virus. I will be wearing a respirator next adventure in.
The picture hides a lot. In its lifetime the bed has been replaced andthe truck was painted.it used to be two tone, the color you see and a brown.
For the most part the paint is still good and will clean up but the cab corners and part of the rockers are gone including the floor where the seatbelt mounts. Also some rot on the drain rail. I will be able to use this until I find a new home for the drivetrain.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
You can take the airbox loose on the outside (engine side). It is held by nuts on studs if I recall. Hardest will be the ones on the bottom with the fenderwell in place. If you take that out, it is easy. Might actually be easier to take the heater core out to clean, they actually are pretty easy if you have factory air. Otherwise, just take the blower fan out and clean out there.

You can take the airbox loose on the outside (engine side). It is held by nuts on studs if I recall. Hardest will be the ones on the bottom with the fenderwell in place. If you take that out, it is easy. Might actually be easier to take the heater core out to clean, they actually are pretty easy if you have factory air. Otherwise, just take the blower fan out and clean out there.
Thanks. I do have factory air. I was thinking of. Of just popping the cover..I agree getting the core right out and give it all a good wash

Well in a small update, I found a leak in the fuel line between the tank switch-anator and the water seperator...figures its on the steel line right where the plastic transistions to the steel...
Checked the glow plugs, only had 3 good ones..changed those out..found some with swolen tips...made fun for removing..
So the glow controller only half works ..it does the 6+ second cycle on and off thing, just never stops.. So for now I am just making sure I pop the wire off of the solenoid after I get it started..
So all the sheetmetal is decent except the cab...checking out rockers and cab corners at LMC ..just finished doing this on a buds 96 f150....not looking forward to it ..lol still waiting on that supercab donor lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts