Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big difference

I'm helping my dad with a 400 engine swap. The replacement 400 is being pulled from a early 80"s F-250. Since the F-250 is going to be stripped and scraped I pulled the front clip off first to make removing the engine a little less of a headache. What surprised me was the amount of bolts holding the fenders on or lack of I should say. As well as the inner fender. I have only stripped down the 70's stuff and am used to a lot of bolts. What a change from the 73-79 to the 80's and up.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
80 & up fenders & inners are bolted to the cab & radiator support.fenders have reinforcements behind the panels...on the 73-9 the fender is bolted to the inner fender & the inner attaches to the cab & radiator support little different but basically same principle.when i remove 73- 79's i unbolt the inners at the cab leave fenders attached & remove the two radiator support bolts from the frame.2 bolts at the bottom of rear of the fender & get a bud to remove it. i did not have an extra hand at the time & just pulled the radiator support but my truck is lifted {see pics in my gallery}it had to come out.being that the truck is raised i could gain access through the wheel wells to install header bolts & plugs,then used planks along the side on concrete blocks to get me up into the engine compartment.worked out great.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts