Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 Expy Door Handle - Am I Being Screwed?

My 2004 Expy has a broken interior door handle on the driver's door. This is the second time this particular issue has happened with this same door in the past 3 years. The first time, Ford fixed it under an extended warranty -- this time, I took it to a local garage and they are quoting me an outrageous figure to fix it.

The problem seems to be that there is some sort of band or retainer that holds the interior door handle upright and tight to the door. That retainer has broken, and the upper part of that door handle tilts out toward the interior of the car... rather than standing upright and in place.

Door still opens fine -- but I am afraid not to fix it since -- well it IS an expensive car and this looks crappy -- plus I am afraid it will eventually stop working if I don't figure out how to hold it in place.

The garage is wanting to replace something they are calling an "Interior Door Shield" and they are quoting me a PARTS price of $345. I don't understand why they can't replace that little band of metal (or maybe nylon, can't tell without getting my hands on it) which should cost next to nothing.

Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!
Judith

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
First word of advice- check with the dealer. I suspect it'll be cheaper. We replaced on of those on our '03 Expy. Caught the wife later closing the door with that door handle. It's a heavy door and a flimsy piece of plastic.:headbang:

Oh, and welcome to FTF!
seeyamustang.gif

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts