Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Vacuum Line Question

Just got a new windshield that was damaged in the golf ball size hail storm last year. My motor is a 351. Auto trans. no a/c. i want to get rid of all the vacuum tubes, as the air pump is gone and there is an aftermarket air filter. I saw on a different thread that it was no prob to remove all the tubes and plug the holes, anything else i should know about this?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
this is a fairly easy proceedure if you know what your doing.make sure to run a vacum hose from carb to distributor.a line for the PCV valve. a hose from the intake to your power brake booster.a hose from the intake to your transmission modulator line at the rear of the motor.on some models there is a pollution pipe thats bolted on the rear of both heads.remove the pipe from the motor, cut the pipe down & leave enough material to crimp & bend & weld shut the pipe ends & reinstall.you want no leaks. some models have a pipe coming out of the intake,simply remove the pipe & replace it with a pipe plug available at any hardware store.make sure you plug off any unused vacum ports on the carb & intake

Holy Cow

Buzz,
Your reply was the answer to all my questions. I can't thank you enough. Last weekend I removed all the smog hoses and other things and replaced the water pump, fuel pump, plugs, wires, belts, hoses....it was so cheap < $160. However, now my truck runs like crap and wont shift (c-6). I'm gonna go and re-run the hoses per your advice. Thanks again

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Buzz,
Your reply was the answer to all my questions. I can't thank you enough. Last weekend I removed all the smog hoses and other things and replaced the water pump, fuel pump, plugs, wires, belts, hoses....it was so cheap < $160. However, now my truck runs like crap and wont shift (c-6). I'm gonna go and re-run the hoses per your advice. Thanks again

Sounds like you might have disconnected the hose that runs from the transmission to the vacuum tree at the back of the engine.

BuzzGun79

LOL no prolblem Dave,its easy to overlook that one.also i forgot if your heater control valve has vacum you will need to hook that up also. :)

So I'm still having trouble with the vac line to my tranny. I've got an 81 f-250 4x4 with a 351m and a c-6. I removed all the smog lines from my motor but still a few glitches, the major one being that my tranny wont go out of 1st gear. I cant find any vac tube coming from the tranny Any help with what I should be looking for?

BuzzGun79

Dave, crawl under the truck on the passenger side.look on the side of the trans more to the rear where the tail of the trans bolts to the main body.you should see a round cylinder with a vacum hose plugged in the rear of it.this is the modulator which shifts the trans.now follow the vacum line up to the rear of the motor & connect an individual hose from the intake tee to the line. or take a lenght of 1/4" brakeline & connect a vacum hose to each end & re run the line from the rear of the motor to the modulator.carefully bend the line to fit & dont kink it.{use a tubing bender if your not comfortable bending it by hand}.connect the hose to the modulator at the trans & to the intake source at the rear of the motor.there are usually clips on the side of the trans & rear of engine to hold the line in place so it does not fall off.the trans should now shift.

BuzzGun79

Dave,if you look in my gallery of pics there is a photo shot of the rear of my f-250 C-6 trans.the round gold cylinder with the vacum hose going into it is the modulator.this is the location you need to look at.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts