Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A/C system questions.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I'm getting ready to put my late grandfather's '68 F250 Ranger XLT back together. I have an old factory under dash A/C unit for these trucks but that's it. Now I'm guessing these were r12 but I'm not sure, and I know just how easy it is to get R12 now a days...

What all do I need to convert to R134a?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
R-12 freon it is.

If the A/C controls are in the same panel as the heater controls: Factory installed Integral A/C. The A/C is combined with the heater, there is a separate glove box in the bezel.

If the A/C controls are separate from the heater controls (2 switches mounted in the bezel): Dealer installed A/C. The A/C is not combined with the heater, the dash glove box is extant.

Last edited:
And the normal glove box is so small you can't hardly fit anything in it, if I remember right. The extra one in the AC unit isn't much better. And changing a heater core in one is REALLY tough! This is on the factory AC.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Don't think this is factory A/C, large glove box and the controls are part of the unit and not in the regular under stereo location.

Just trying to figure out how to convert to 134a

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
From the reading I have done, the compressor oil must be changed and I think the fittings also have to be changed, I've only done a little bit of reading on it as I'm not ready to do mine yet :D

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Use conversion oil and change the fittings to r134 fittings. It is easy to do.

You can still buy r12. i see it on craigslist all the time. in my area atleast

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The one I converted a few years ago I had to change fittings and the oil. Not sure if it changed much if at all. Never blew as cold once converted to the ozone friendly stuff.

The one I converted a few years ago I had to change fittings and the oil. Not sure if it changed much if at all. Never blew as cold once converted to the ozone friendly stuff.

yep, r12 gets much cooler than 134. Like i said do a search on craigslist, most likely you will find some r12.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
D4AZ-19B519-A .. 1 lb. Can of R-12 Freon / Obsolete

B. F. WHITE MOTOR CO. in Stanton TX has 1 = 800-953-3321.

SEWELL FORD in Odessa TX has 7 = 800-592-4762 / 432-498-0434.

BOB LOWTH FORD in Bemidjii MN has 15 = 888-751-3140 / 218-444-6145.

WILSON MOTORS in Snyder TX has 46 = 325-573-1907.

BURTIS MOTORS in Garden City KS has 63 = 620-275-6171.

No other FoMoCo Dealer, no obsolete parts vendor has any.

R-12 freon is no longer being produced, banned by the EPA.

Whatever amount y'all find will be new old stock, like the above.

Note: 1968/72 F100/350 with Factory installed Integral A/C. The A/C is combined with the heater, the A/C controls are in the same panel as the heater controls.

Because the expansion valve is installed where the glove box liner would normally be, there is a built-in glove box within the A/C's bezel.

Note: 1968/72 F100/350 with dealer installed A/C: The A/C is not combined with the heater, the A/C controls (two switches) mount into the bezel.

The original glove box is intact within the dash. Both types of A/C installed in 1968/72 F100/350 A/C are "hang-on's." Both the bezels bolt to the bottom of the dash.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: 1973/79 F100/350 with Deluxe dealer Installed A/C. The A/C is combined with the heater, the A/C controls mount into the bezel, not combined with the heater controls.

The HUGE dash bezel sweeps across the entire right side of the dash, covers up the original glove box, so there is a separate 'hang-on' glove box bolted to the bottom of the dash.

Last edited:

oldandbroke

Texas Chapter member
Evan is right, the R 12 system will work a lot better than the 134A system. I have been in Air Conditioning business from since 1984.
Had a 1964 El Camino with after market Frigiking under the dash unit. It would make sleet.
If you convert,get all the old oil out, flush the lines and coils.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts