Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A lottery truck

Found this this morning - it snowed and i'm at home with the kids seeing as school is shut so i've been searching on trademe (our version of ebay)

2010 model and only $98000.00 incl conversion which is why i need to win the lottery.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/f150/auction-357850164.htm

Dash2.jpg

Front3.jpg

Real nice looking truck

Out of curisoity why are american vehicles so expensive?

What is the cost of the conversion and importing fee's?
Do you know off hand?

Hi Don
We are just fascinated with American vehicles out here as we used to have a lot of 50s and 60s fords and chevys (i used to have a 1970 Ramble Rebel ) that were just so much more reliable , comfortable , and much more power than the usual british or australian cars we could get our hands on - most of the young fellas are into skylines ,sylvias etc but us older guys still love a good V8

We are pretty lucky out here as there is no import duty on most things.
Also if your car is under 3000kg glw and more than 20 years old you don't have to convert it to rhd or have to comply with emissions etc - there is a rule change that has just come in that allows for up to 500 cars a year to be imported newer than 20 years old without being converted to rhd if they are considered to be a high performance sports vehicle (mustangs etc - maybe lightnings ?)or a modern classic.

A conversion cost would range from 15k up to about 35k depending on the model.

Just to give an costing example on importing a car into nz ;

Car cost = $3000 usd (a nice 1992 xtra cab 4x4 F150 for me)
Freight from Long Beach CA = $3250 usd
Currency conversion @.83nzd-1.00usd =7530.00nzd
MAF inspection (like border control) documentation fees etc approx = 500nzd

Total = $8030nzd
Add 15% GST (goods and services tax) =$1205.00nzd
Total = $9235.00 nzd sitting on wharf
Fee for moving off wharf = approx $85.00

Cost of applying a nz vin number and first safety inspection of vehicle approx $400.00nzd
Cost of registering for the first time = $386.00nzd /6 months rego included.

Its been a couple of years since i've imported a car so i may have missed something but it wouldn't amount to much $$$

Total =$10105.00 nzd - this would be your true cost only if something didn't go wrong eg MAF decided you needed to steam clean the car again - another $150.00 or the worst that could happen is if they (MAF) decide you have an incorrect odometer reading they will confiscte your car .

Thats really rare to happen though - My father started importing cars from Japan into N.Z back in 1989 as a hobby and when i moved my family back south in 2003 i got involved in the business with him (he"d sold the family farm by then) and in the 4 years we were doing it together before i took on the Bar in Nelson Dad and i imported probably 200 cars without any major hiccups.
When i get the Bar sold and get my mortgage paid off again(http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=317869838) Joy (my wife) and myself are hoping to get back into the importing game as she is interested in doing kids clothing - you guys have some great surplus stores over there and i would like to look at bringing in travel trailers and auto parts etc.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Are those New Zealand dollars for that price? If so, it converts to $82,094.60 US dollars. Still very expensive but a fair difference between those 2 prices...

Hey Ryan you should see the looks i get going down the road in my old truck when the wife is beside me doing her hair ... and more funnier still was when i got pulled over by the cops for a random breath test and they go to the wrong side - my truck is still left hand drive and of course we drive on the other side of the road.

100_0758.JPG

Yep that price is in New Zealand dollars and i know they are pretty pricey here but you should see what those poor beggars across the ditch in Australia are paying - check this one out @ $82000 Aud = 85k usd

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2003-For...-/230629508323?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item35b29704e3

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You kiwi's are crazy on the left side of the road!

On the flip side, I know where to get a nice, crisp, lightly used driver side seat when I wear mine out. Anywhere that drives on the left side of the road!

Ryan

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Dang, those prices don't even seem real.....that is insane...wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a truck in the US and ship it there? Or is that even possible? Dang.

Dang, those prices don't even seem real.....that is insane...wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a truck in the US and ship it there? Or is that even possible? Dang.

Its just the extra cost of converting it to RHD - the cost of the freight isn't too bad - heres part of my post above with a costing for an older truck i found on CL

Also if your car is under 3000kg glw and more than 20 years old you don't have to convert it to rhd or have to comply with emissions etc - there is a rule change that has just come in that allows for up to 500 cars a year to be imported newer than 20 years old without being converted to rhd if they are considered to be a high performance sports vehicle (mustangs etc - maybe lightnings ?)or a modern classic.

Total = $8030nzd

Cost of applying a nz vin number and first safety inspection of vehicle approx $400.00nzd

Its been a couple of years since i've imported a car so i may have missed something but it wouldn't amount to much $$$

Total =$10105.00 nzd - this would be your true cost only if something didn't go wrong eg MAF decided you needed to steam clean the car again - another $150.00 or the worst that could happen is if they (MAF) decide you have an incorrect odometer reading they will confiscte your car .

Thats really rare to happen though - My father started importing cars from Japan into N.Z back in 1989 as a hobby and when i moved my family back south in 2003 i got involved in the business with him (he"d sold the family farm by then) and in the 4 years we were doing it together before i took on the Bar in Nelson Dad and i imported probably 200 cars without any major hiccups.
When i get the Bar sold and get my mortgage paid off again(http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=317869838) Joy (my wife) and myself are hoping to get back into the importing game as she is interested in doing kids clothing - you guys have some great surplus stores over there and i would like to look at bringing in travel trailers and auto parts etc.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Its just the extra cost of converting it to RHD - the cost of the freight isn't too bad - heres part of my post above with a costing for an older truck i found on CL

Total = $8030nzd

When i get the Bar sold and get my mortgage paid off again(http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=317869838) Joy (my wife) and myself are hoping to get back into the importing game as she is interested in doing kids clothing - you guys have some great surplus stores over there and i would like to look at bringing in travel trailers and auto parts etc.

Wow....I didn't realize all those additional costs. Sounds like some of those services are a good business to get into as well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts