Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Noobie cam and intake swap...

I run with scissors.

Ok, I have pretty much no experience working on the insides of an engine. I replaced head gaskets on my '95 3.8 Mustang once, that's about it. I don't want to screw this up...

I'm going to swap the cam, lifters, and intake on my '70 460. I may also want to smooth the bumps in the exhaust ports.

How are these bumps smoothed out? Can I smooth them with the heads still on the engine?

My parts checklist... is it complete? Anything specific I should do also?

Intake
Cam
Valve springs
Straight up double roller timing set
Water neck
All necessary gaskets

Anything else I should order when I order these parts? Assembly lube?

Anything else I should do to this motor before putting it in the truck?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Assembly lube would help....

You can do anything to a motor when its out. Your limitations are your finacial backing...

You can get a little bit more material out of the heads while your there, but total time investment is around 40 hours with a die grinder....

do some research on D.I.Y. head porting, to make sure you get it looking and functioning the best that you can.

Absolute best case scenario, port the heads ( or have them done ) get some flow numbers and have a cam custom ground for you build and for what your wanting... This will be much better than any mass produced job. For nearly the same price. Port matching the intake to the head is common too. As is porting the intakes of any flaws.

Do alot of research before you tear into it to make sure you cover everything and get all the components to work together.

With higher flow numbers, a bigger carb could be a good idea, but im not real familiar with carbs so do some digging on that as well....

If you have any more questions i can lead you in the right direction...

I want to say Carsbycarl will do the custom ground cam for you. But get flow numbers from your heads first. So he can make the best possible cam for your application.

You have to take the heads completely apart to do any port work. I would also get new valve spring retainers & keepers. Isky Rev Lube is the best cam paste made.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts