Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project I'm considering

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Last week a co-worker came in and let me know that he had cut my headlights off for me. This got me to thinking about a way to wire a buzzer to let me know the lights were on when I open the driver's door when the truck is off.

Has anyone considered and or made this modification? If so, would you mind providing some insite on your design>

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Fellro

Staff member
You could use a relay to energize a buzzer, which would be powered by the headlight circuit, and grounded by the door switch. use the door switch to ground the relay.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Do you think one of these piezo buzzers will do the job? Hook the positive lead from the buzzer to the headlight circuit and the negative to the door switch?

Fellro

Staff member
You just need a buzzer that is 12v driven. You could direct wire it that way, just tag into the wire going to the dimmer switch that supplies voltage to it. The pillar switch just grounds the dome light, so it can do the same for the buzzer. You don't need a resistor, as the buzzer will supply the resistance needed. Just like hooking up a speaker.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Roger, would that buzzer buzz the whole time the truck was on?

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
No Ryan. Only when the door is open and lights are on since opening the door will complete the ground to the buzzer using the door switch

Fellro

Staff member
As stated, the door switch only grounds when the door is open. Otherwise, your dome light would always be on as well.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
In 1969, Ford came out with an accessory 'headlights on" warning light kit-available at the parts counter.

The various kits fit 1965/79 FoMoCo vehicles.

It's been decades since I sold one a these puppies, so I cannot recall what the part number is, or where it's located in the parts catalogs.

The relay that came in the kit for a vehicle of this vintage I did find: C9AZ-10C838-A, but without the rest of the kit, it won't do y'all any good.

And who knows if any a these kits will still be available NOS

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Alright, just picked up a 12VDC Piezo Buzzer from Radio Shack for about $4.

It has a voltage range of 3-20 VDC, rated voltage of 12VDC and sound pressure level of 75db.

Gonna get another one and hook it up to the blinkers on my bike, since they do not have self-cancelling on them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts