Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

17" tires too exspensive

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
This is the first time I've bought tires for my '07 F150,
4 new 17" tires for !!!> $850:shocked: <!!! (mounted and balanced).

I've never had to cough up that much
bread for a set of tires in my life.

Wish I'd thought about it before hand,
but I probaly could've got 16" rims and
tires for under $1000

Anybody know any cheaper 17" tires can be had?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
One of our sponsors is tirerack.com. i have used them before and was pleased.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Stock tire size????? I'm probably jaded due to the tires I get, but $850 doesn't sound bad at all. That's probably what $190/tire, $20 disposal fee, $40 mount and balance fee, plus tax????

That being said, shop around online...National wheel and Tire usually has some good prices and if you have a location where you can receive freight...it'll drastically cut down shipping. 4WheelParts usually has some killer deals on tires. Dunno if you have any by you, but the Discount Tire chain usually has decent prices around me.

Stock tire size????? I'm probably jaded due to the tires I get, but $850 doesn't sound bad at all. That's probably what $190/tire, $20 disposal fee, $40 mount and balance fee, plus tax????

They charge you disposal fee!!! - We give old tyres to the local lions club and they sell them for $1 each to the dairy farmers for their silage mounds.
silage_mound.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
They charge you disposal fee!!! - We give old tyres to the local lions club and they sell them for $1 each to the dairy farmers for their silage mounds.
silage_mound.jpg

Around these parts they do...usually $5-10 a tire. I usually keep mine and sell as rollers, trade for parts, give them to guys I know as rollers, use them as bases for stands, use them to improve throwing accuracy and I've been known to use them as workout equipment before.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
850 aint really that bad.. the only set of 33x12.5x16.5 tires tire rack carries is coming in at a whopping 199 a tire, that dont include shipping, or mounting, balancing etc...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm curious about your stock tire size as well. I think the ones on the 17" wheels are smaller than the 'stock' tire size on my 18 inch wheel. Mine are 200+

Ryan

850 aint really that bad.. the only set of 33x12.5x16.5 tires tire rack carries is coming in at a whopping 199 a tire, that dont include shipping, or mounting, balancing etc...

Yes, this size tire is pretty scarce anymore. The only ones I know that still make them are PRo Comp and BFG. I've seen both these brands go for $1,000-1,100 on the bay for a set.

This is the size I run on my 78. I honestly buy up about every one I find on Craigslist thats got good tread and cheap. I really like the alum slot wheels that I have and dont want to go to 16's.

Theres no way I could afford 1000 bucks for a set of tires.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Wow... I just got a set of used tires for the 98 GMC for 140 mounted and balanced... about 10/32 tread on them too - not bad at all. Should last me 20,000 miles or more...

EDIT: that's 140 for al of them... 35 each

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
The last set of new tires I bought was 16" bridgestones for around $450
(mounted and balanced).

Coarse, that was about 5 years ago. Guess tire prices have nearly doubled
since then.

Don't have many choices for tire prices around here, it's either one of the
two small tire centers or the local co-op, either of which is about as high
as the other.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The last set of new tires I bought was 16" bridgestones for around $450
(mounted and balanced).

Coarse, that was about 5 years ago. Guess tire prices have nearly doubled
since then.

That they have...I can't believe how tire prices have skyrocketed. The last set of Boggers I bought for Red were $277/ea about 4 years ago...now the cheapest I can find them are $355/ea. Given, Interco has been having their issues, but it seems like most tires from BFG, MT, etc. have jumped considerably as well.

racsan

4xford
i think tires have all gone up in general. my ranger runs a std 235/75/15 and the same brand & size tire i bought 6 years ago for my "winter" set was only about 52 bucks a tire then. now the exact same size/brand tire is $105. the bad news is that tread-wise i dont need tires, but because the rubber hardens with age, it no longer gets a grip on wet pavement. its almost like driving (or stopping) on ice. dads new (to him) super-duty takes 17's and needs new tires, the '94 3/4 ton he has up for sale has nearly new 16's on it. but i can tell that theres no clearance for the 16" rims, and even if they did clear the calipers, theres that stupid hub-centric design ford went with. guess short of swapping axles out, theres not much that can be done. my summer tire are also in need of replacement. im thinking of just settling with one set, its just too costly to have 2 sets and need replacement 5 years down the road of both sets of tires.

The BFGs that I put on my SD where about $1000, including M&B. My wheels where $800. 265/70/17s. BFG Rugged Terrain.

Put BFGs on my wifes Jetta back in 08ish. Those ran me about $400 total.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts