Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Advice needed on Cali engine build.

If you read my other post about blowing my head gasket then you can understand why I will not try another Ford motor(BEEN THROUGH TWO).

So here is where I am at. I hired Troy Bowen the owner of Ford Performance Solutions in Anaheim Ca.First step was a lengthy conversation about budget,what my goal was, etc
Bottom line:
1. The only part we are going to use off the Ford engine is the block.
2.Its a daily driver so I am looking for "free" horsepower otherwise my MPG is to be the same or better post build.
3. Use is 75% highway 25% off road, mostly trails, fire,logging roads etc. I am a hunter not a brush buster.
4.That I stay in the loop,if there are any changes to part choices, etc I wanted a chance to research EVERY part and Troy has been fantastic to work with, really a sharp dude.
5. I left it to Troy to research options,suggest his advised plan and we agreed to a 2 week turnaround.

THE BUILD:
Ford 351W Block bored to 4.040 and line honed.New pistons/rings
Edelbrock EFI Performer intake manifold #3881
Pro Comp Aluminum Cylinder Heads CASTING ONLY-
Troy using Manley roller/rockers, valves, dual springs etc hand built the heads himself and they came out OUTSTANDING. His attention to detail and tolerences shows . These heads look and are nothing like the complete pro comp sets you see on e bay.
I had serious concerns about oil distribution. One look at a stock oil pan assembly and its obvious that with no baffles and the pickup tube in the deep sump that on an even moderate downgrade there is nothing to stop your oil in the pan from rolling forward leaving the sump dry which means at best you are getting inconsistant pressure and at worse you could intermitantly run dry.So to address this issue we used a Milidon(baffled) off road pan,High Volume pump/pickup assembly. I wouldnt use anything other then Canton or Milidon oil pans they IMO are just that much better then anything else out there for my application.
Set Of MAC Performance shorty headers.
I think that covers the major stuff.
Once the mass air conversion is complete or I find a way around the truck computer program Troy is confedent we are between 420-450 HP. Until then I will pickup between 50-80 HP, more torque and have one sweet engine. I forgot to ask where we are in both scenarios for torque

NOW here is where I need your help, is there anything short of a mass air conversion that will keep the computer from interfering with me realizing maximum benifit from this build. With 19lb fuel injectors the stock setup was already lean.My truck is a 95, is there no performance chip or reprogramming gear that will allow me to tinker with the onboard software and return it to factory settings right before my smog inspection every other year?Remember the ticket here is I MUST still pass smog or I am screwed:headbang: :headbang:

Any help suggestions are greatly appreciated, John

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^When I first read that...the Pro-Comp heads popped out at me as well.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Make sure all these changes you are making will allow the vehicle to pass the CA smog test. Otherwise...

That looks promising as well.. ( http://www.tweecer.com/ )

Do you know of one for OBD II??

This has me confused...
I have been told for years that the pre 96 Bronco did not have a flash drive in it, IF thats true then the way I see it the laptop would have to stay plugged in or you would have to make your own performance chip. Am I right?

Does a MAS air conversion allow me to upgrade my computer as part of the conversion?? (CALIFORNIA)

Thanks to all of you guys for the help................John

This has me confused...
I have been told for years that the pre 96 Bronco did not have a flash drive in it, IF thats true then the way I see it the laptop would have to stay plugged in or you would have to make your own performance chip. Am I right?

Does a MAS air conversion allow me to upgrade my computer as part of the conversion?? (CALIFORNIA)

Thanks to all of you guys for the help................John

See below, but IF TwEECer wont work for you then MegaSquirt (diy autotune) Will...

They tell you how it works on this page:
http://www.tweecer.com/tellmore.htm

Hopefully it works out. I've had my eye on a TwEECer for a long time but I think it's really only useful for highly modified vehicles.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts