Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

93 EFI to carb

I have a 93 F150 302 that I am tired of electronics issues. Will a carb and intake bolt on this? I plan on eliminating the computer as well so I will be changing the dist. I also know that I will have to regulate the fuel pressure so I don't need that info. Just need the info on the intake swap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There are more knowledgeable guys on this topic than me...but I believe you may also need the heads appropriate for a carb'd engine. As for the computer, I think you'll need a stand alone for the trans that can be a few hundred dollars. I also believe you'll have to back off to about 6-6.5 psi for fuel pressure.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You're going to need a new intake manifold as the one is currently set up with an upper manifold that mounts onto a throttle body near the top-front of the motor.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok this is gonna take a minute.......

Ok you can do this, but there are gonna be a lot of hurdles and alot of work.

1. The stock Long block will work minus upper and lower intake. Head port locations are no different on 302's and 351W's from EFI to carb or vice versa

2. Do you have a Auto trans? if so it's probably a E4OD, if ya do this swap you'll need a standalone trans computer to control it it. around $700 bucks

3. need a new fuel system to make it run right. the EFI system produces around 40 PSI, Carb only needs 5-8 ish... You can use factory EFI stuff but youll need a beefy inline regulator to kill off the pressure. just easier to get a new pump.

Crap... im sure i'll think of the rest.... i just woke up and aint feeling good...

i'll edit later if i think of anything else..

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Won't his current computer run the transmission fine?

The check engine light may be on and the computer will just sit there and think "wtf?" but the transmission will still function normally, no?

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Won't his current computer run the transmission fine?

The check engine light may be on and the computer will just sit there and think "wtf?" but the transmission will still function normally, no?

Ryan

nope.. it wont shift... it reads certain things like the TPS, IAC and a few others to know when and why its shifting...

think about it...

if your having harsh tranny shifts, whats one of the things people will suggest?

Throttle position sensor, if the TPS aint reading right, the computer aint getting the right info, and is causing the trans to shift harshly..

now if the computer aint getting any info at all... well it probably wont shift at all..

nflfreak43 had the exact info I was looking for. Since the long block is the same, I'm good to go. The E4OD died a long time ago and was replaced with a 5 speed manual so the computer will be useless. Will change the intake, add a carb and put a HEI dist in. Will have to get into the schematics on the fuel system and decide if I want to change the pump or add a regulator. I do want to be able to continue using the dual tanks. Thanks again for the info.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
honestly.. you could probably find a fuel system in the junkyard from a carb'd 302 engine from 80-85 and put it in without issue... or atleast trace everything onto a sheet of paper so you know what you got ahead of ya..

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I wouldn't call it immature. He was the only one to give me the exact info I ask for. I can see the trans answers since I didn't say auto or man but the question was could I put a carb and intake on the EFI motor.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I wouldn't call it immature.

I would. He was the first to give you the correct answer and you thanked him for it. No reason to post how he is a winner for it. Mature people don't post comments for trying to pat themselves on the back for being right once.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ok this is gonna take a minute.......

Ok you can do this, but there are gonna be a lot of hurdles and alot of work.

1. The stock Long block will work minus upper and lower intake. Head port locations are no different on 302's and 351W's from EFI to carb or vice versa

2. Do you have a Auto trans? if so it's probably a E4OD, if ya do this swap you'll need a standalone trans computer to control it it. around $700 bucks

3. need a new fuel system to make it run right. the EFI system produces around 40 PSI, Carb only needs 5-8 ish... You can use factory EFI stuff but youll need a beefy inline regulator to kill off the pressure. just easier to get a new pump.

Crap... im sure i'll think of the rest.... i just woke up and aint feeling good...

i'll edit later if i think of anything else..

here ill give u a hand

4. dont forget distributer the one you have right now is electronic controlled

you need an older model distributer.. ;)

and he can use a bypas regulator that can regulate the pressure to about 5-7 psi a bypass one is best here so it can send all the unnecessary fuel pressure back to the tank

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Seriously? This is such an immature comment.

Besides...if he really wanted to make it a competition...didn't I say the same thing he did...and I believe I was first. Although, I was wrong about the heads, I'll give him that.

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Check schematics, but if there is a check valve, then you will need to modify it. Something about to much fuel returning to the tank or something along those lines.

Look into it, so you dont have any issues down the road.

Also, does your truck have a fuel pump mounted on the frame rail?
If so, that is your high pressure pump, the in-tank pumps are low pressure and will provide enough fuel to run the truck with a carb, just remove the high pressure pump from the equation...

Thanks Jurgen, I will be using an HEI distributer. 1 wire and all the spark it will need. Thanks for the fuel system info Don, got the book in my lap now getting ready to study up on it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Besides...if he really wanted to make it a competition...didn't I say the same thing he did...and I believe I was first. Although, I was wrong about the heads, I'll give him that.

Yeah you pretty much said the same thing. But I look at it as helping other people shouldn't be a competition and that's why I pointed out it was an immature comment.. We all contribute here in our own way. And just because someone answered first doesn't mean 15 other people don't have the same answer, just not on at the same time. I'm glad that the OP got his answer and can go forward with his project. Maybe he can do a little writeup about it so that it will help other people.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts