Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Preventing swirl marks

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm just curious as to what you guys do or use to prevent swirl marks (or as much as you can)? I use a microfiber wash mit, I use a a chamois cloth for drying (but considering a water blade), then I go back over the vehicle with a microfiber for final drying. Then I either get in to a Kwik wax, clay bar or wax...all applied with a microfiber. Does soap, wax and other products play a role in swirl marks? I know a good buff can help in a big way, but I try not to use that as a fix for swirl marks. So what do you use.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
A proper coat of polish sould help you out. Have you tried switching to a non paste wax?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't really have an issue...I was just curious what kind of preventative actions you guys use. I use Zymol liquid wax for the everyday run of the mill waxes...and Dodo Juice when I want to show off.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I don't wash my vehicles with soap and water and haven't for the last 12 years or so. I've always used the waterless car wash products and love them.

There is common sense with these products as well, like if there's excessive dirt or mud, I spray it down at the car wash or what not, but otherwise, I've just sprayed, wiped, and buffed by hand all my vehicles and you wouldn't know it.

One of the first vehicles I've used this on was a 10 year old vehicle with a somewhat faded, but not bad coat of paint. All I did for the next 3 or 4 years was use my waterless car wash and over that time, the shine on it became show room, pretty amazing stuff.

Anyways, that's why there aren't any issues with swirl marks.

Here's a cool article on the technology:

http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/waterless-auto-detailing.html

I have really enjoyed the results of one of our sponsors Fukken wax. The previous company I've used for years was Dri-WashnGuard.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Buffing really is the only tried and true method I've known for getting rid of swirl marks...

Good deal...just didn't know if there was a way slow formation.

What Ken said. Waterless for polishing, but I still use water to wash first.

Yeah, that whole waterless thing just freaks me out, but maybe I'll give it a try.

To prevent swirl marks, try to do a courtesy flush before the bowl gets so full.

Ryan

You're an absolute riot this week.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ben, if you haven't already, check out that article on the link I posted.....Waterless car washing is not much different than soap and water....unless you're vehicles have mud or lots of dirt on them, you're doing the same thing. With physical dirt on the vehicle, I take a hose and sponge and wash it off, let it dry and the waterless car wash cleans, waxes and buffs in one step. Last year when I took my rig to shows, people thought I'd spent hours with a buffing machine to get it to shine the way it did and I never did.....because it's garaged, the only time I took water to my truck is when we drove it cross country.....lots of dust and dirt underneath, so I took it a car wash and went to town on it top and bottom, but other than that, the entire year last year, not a drop of water.

Hey Ken, I was just reading the other thread on the Fukken Wax. You were going to try it on your wifes mustang. I did not see any review after that.

Since you posted "The previous company I've used for years was Dri-WashnGuard.", I assume you have changed, but you know what happens when you assume.

I get home from work tomorrow evening and will be looking for a product to tackle the finish on the 76 F250 my wife brought home for me last weekend. I'm sure it will need some attention.

Thanks for your imput.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hey Ken, I was just reading the other thread on the Fukken Wax. You were going to try it on your wifes mustang. I did not see any review after that.

Since you posted "The previous company I've used for years was Dri-WashnGuard.", I assume you have changed, but you know what happens when you assume.

I get home from work tomorrow evening and will be looking for a product to tackle the finish on the 76 F250 my wife brought home for me last weekend. I'm sure it will need some attention.

Thanks for your imput.

I put something quick on there about the mustang somewhere.......I tried it on half of the hood and could not believe the difference....it was so vast my wife noticed and she wouldn't notice the wheels missing, so for her to notice, was a vast difference. She told me I missed the other half and the hood was already clean.

I switched from Dri Wash for two main reasons.....the product is really top notch, but:

1) They have an overspray problem....the wax wipes on and hazes and you buff it out after a few minutes....well the haze dries a whitish color (not good for radiators, door jams, dark colored areas of the vehicle, etc.). Dri Wash knew this was a thorn in their side and created a darker colored product (stupid....didn't address the problem, just tried to hide it- dumb)....anyways, there is absolutely no overspray with my Fukken wax.....this is one of my favorite features after using Dri Wash for the past 10 years. You could just spray it on a rag too, but so much better to evenly spray on the vehicle itself.

2) The wax is in liquid form.....makes it difficult to evenly spray even with their pressure pumps (which don't last long by the way). Fukken has an aerosole can....another ingenius idea.

Hope this helps.....btw, I don't get a commission, but I do rag on them for discounts for me giving my testimonial on my truck...if you haven't read it, it's here:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=391089&postcount=35

Thanks for taking the time to post the info Ken.

I am very familiar with Dri-Wash, as my grandfather use to sell it back in the early 90's (I think). Man that was a while back

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks for taking the time to post the info Ken.

I am very familiar with Dri-Wash, as my grandfather use to sell it back in the early 90's (I think). Man that was a while back

Dri Wash was the pioneer in the waterless car wash market....they were the absolute first in the industry....imagine what they went through in the beginning if people are still eery of doing it today. Now, everyone and their sister company has a product like it on the market.

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
Any time you rub on a vehicle, no matter how soft the towel is, its going to swirl it over time. Sure, by suing nothing but microfiber and stuff, you are reducing the amount of swirling, but it is inevitable. As said, buffing is the only real way of ridding of the swirls, but there is no real way to eliminate swirling.

Make sure that after your micrfiber towels are old and no longer soft to discard of them (I need to do this myself). If you do wash using water (like me), invest in two grit guards and use the two bucket setup. Once bucket for washing, the other for rinsing the mitt after each scrub.

So really other than what you are doing, there isnt much else you can do other than have your truck buffed occasionally

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Any time you rub on a vehicle, no matter how soft the towel is, its going to swirl it over time. Sure, by suing nothing but microfiber and stuff, you are reducing the amount of swirling, but it is inevitable. As said, buffing is the only real way of ridding of the swirls, but there is no real way to eliminate swirling.

Make sure that after your micrfiber towels are old and no longer soft to discard of them (I need to do this myself). If you do wash using water (like me), invest in two grit guards and use the two bucket setup. Once bucket for washing, the other for rinsing the mitt after each scrub.

So really other than what you are doing, there isnt much else you can do other than have your truck buffed occasionally

Exactly smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid :beer:

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

Sez the guy who removes the bed of his truck when he details it.

My Marquis is 10 years old now, and the silver paint shines like the day it was new. Granted, it's not a dark color, but silver is prone to durability issues. The car gets washed once a week (freezing weather is the only thing that'll change this routine), and it gets waxed twice a year. Spring and Fall, with Meguiars. Never seen the inside of a car wash, and I clean the wash mitt and soft brushes after every wash.

Get's dried with a water blade and a soft towel- if it isn't raining out.

Last edited:

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
bwahahaha, got that right

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts