Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

00 7.3 diesel fuel problem

I have a intermittent problem. Will be going fine then hear what sounds like a valve tapping then will lose power until I have to pull over. Usually will start back up after 20- 30 mins or so. I have changed camshaft position sensor, injector control pressure sensor and maf sensor still same problem. Brought to local ford dealer they charged almost $300 to tell me I had a fuel sending unit problem and it would be $2400 just to fix the fuel problem to see if I have a motor issue. So I am in process of replacing fuel sending unit myself. Does this sound like my best course of action? Also can a fuel sending unit be tested? I have one coming in but it is a salvage part. I am also going to change fuel pump.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Try putting a manual oil pressure guage on it. If you lose base engine oil pressure (tapping noise) there won't be enough oil to operate the injectors and you'll gradually lose power.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts