Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can you put a 12.5" wide tire on an 8" wide rim?

A belt blew on one of my tires today so I need to get at least 2 new tires and I figure since I want to put bigger tires on it anyway it'd be best to do it now. This summer I plan on getting a leveling kit, AAL, and regear it to 4.10s and I think 33s would go best with that. There not many options out there for 33x10.5s but there are plenty for 33x12.5s and they can be had for less as well.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You need to go to the particular tires' website and see what they recommend...also, before jumping on the deep gears use a calculator and see what your rpm's will be at a given speed and don't forget you have 4-Lo for offroad.

You need to go to the particular tires' website and see what they recommend...also, before jumping on the deep gears use a calculator and see what your rpm's will be at a given speed and don't forget you have 4-Lo for offroad.

To maintain my same effective ratio as I have now (3.55s with 29"s) I would need 4.04 gears, obviously 4.10 is as close as you can get to 4.04.

Edit: The website says 8-11 in rims :D

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_s

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Oooooobviously.

I missed it. What's obvious?

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I do believe my wheels are 8" wide and my tires are definitely 12.5" wide. I do get a little bulging in the center of the treads but it doesn't seem to be enough to cause uneven wear patterns. Had this same combo for 5 years now.

I do believe my wheels are 8" wide and my tires are definitely 12.5" wide. I do get a little bulging in the center of the treads but it doesn't seem to be enough to cause uneven wear patterns. Had this same combo for 5 years now.

They look good too.

obviously we are :wasntme:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Don't forget to include mounting, balancing, and disposal of old tires in your cheaper-than calculation.

Those little add-ons always run to more cash than I expect them to, somehow...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Obviously :rolling laugh:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I too run an 8" wide rim with a 12.5" wide tire, on the Bronco. As for tire disposal...unless it's free, might be worth putting them on CL as rollers for somebody with a project.

I too run an 8" wide rim with a 12.5" wide tire, on the Bronco. As for tire disposal...unless it's free, might be worth putting them on CL as rollers for somebody with a project.

The disposal is 2 dollars. I'm going to dispose of the two Firestones and then sell the Coopers.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts