Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 f150 4x4 transmission removal

I'm trying to remove the transmission from my 97 4wheel drive. Can I take the transmission and transfer case out as one unit? is it easier? and if so do I need to remove the cross member holding the torsion bars?

blacksnapon

Staff member
You can remove it in one unit, but theres a clearance issue at the rear. It may be easier for you to remove in two pieces. If the crossmembers have bolts in them, remove 'em.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have only had mine out a "few" times.... You can pull the whole thing out in one piece, but I suggest doing in in two as it is A LOT easier. There is only the trans mount that has to be removed. I also believe at one time on mine there may have been another cross brace in the back as well but it has been so long since I did mine the first time, I couldn't tell ya. I have a tendancy to leave things out upon install, so as to make the next time easier, if it doesn't hurt the structural aspect of the truck! LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts