Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2006 Expedition front axle leak

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here so please excuse if my questionw were already addressed in previous threads.

I've tried searching the forum but can't find a step by step guide on how to fix a leak on the front passenger side axle of a 2006 Expedition. I noticed an oil leak where the right drive shaft meets the CV axle. I believe that is the drive shaft flange and CV flange.

How difficult is it to fix? What tools am I going to need if I do it myself? Diagrams?

Thanks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Removal

Remove the halfshafts.
Remove the lower shock absorber and spring assembly nut and bolt.
Position the shock absorber and spring assembly aside.
Using a suitable axle shaft remover, remove the axle shafts.

Remove and discard the axle shaft circlips.
Using a suitable seal remover, remove the stub shaft oil seals.

HI Blacksnapon. Thanks for the reply.

Is removing the axle shaft a straight forward procedure or are there things that I should align before I can pull it out?

Thanks, again.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The most work is pulling the halfshafts. Separate the upper ball joint to get enough room to get the shaft out of the hub (removing the tie rod will help too). Then remove all of the bolts on the halfshafts. The inner shaft is held in with a circlip. You can use a slidehammer or just beat it out with a hammer.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts