Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thinking About Gears...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Overdrive helps huh? YelloThumbUp

Oh yeah...forgot about the overdrive...I was ready to get all jumpy when that 2200rpm number was posted. I can relax now.

I'm considering putting 4.56's in my 85 F-150. How many RPM's will it be turning going 65 with stock tires?

Anyone else run these gears? If so, how's you like them?

What exactly are you looking to do with that kind of gear? I have 4.56's in Thunder with 37's and an E4OD. While lower than the 2600 rule of thumb I shoot for, I still don't think I'd make the swap if you're going to be spending a whole lot of time on the highway.

Oh yeah...forgot about the overdrive...I was ready to get all jumpy when that 2200rpm number was posted. I can relax now.

What exactly are you looking to do with that kind of gear? I have 4.56's in Thunder with 37's and an E4OD. While lower than the 2600 rule of thumb I shoot for, I still don't think I'd make the swap if you're going to be spending a whole lot of time on the highway.

I'm just looking for really quick acceleration..and I'll probably take it to the drag strip a few times this summer. I wont be driving it on the highway too much..mostly city and rural driving.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nothing wrong with 2250 rpm at highway speed...4.56 will give you some good acceleration.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Nothing wrong with 2250 rpm at highway speed...4.56 will give you some good acceleration.

I 100% agree with that Duncan, my only concern was with the added potential unnecessary stress. In the end though, it's probably only about a 600rpm difference.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You would be best off talking to a converter place...generic converters can have lots of variation of stall speed depending on many factors...cam, displacement to name a couple.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im not even going to get into it. We could spend many hours on tq converters call up supplier tell them exactly what you want and what your using and they will hook you up

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts