Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brakes!!

Sweet, so I got in the truck today to come home and while stopping the brake pedal sunk about an inch every other second. Acted fine at next light. Drove a little while, had to pump again to stop, then acted fine. Not losing any brake fluid so this tells me master cylinder. Anything else you can think of? No fluid around any fittings, drums, or wheels. These master cylinders hard to replace or pretty easy? Any input would be appreciated. 460/ 4 speed f250 4x4. Thanks in advance guys!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd be more inclined to believe that if it were the MC, you would be losing fluid...and your problem is more than likely a booster issue. But I agree with Don, check for air in the lines first, cuz that's free.

Fellro

Staff member
Try pumping them up, then let off just a little on the pressure, and push on them again. If it sinks, the seals in the master are gone. The internal seals can go and let the pressure past, they don't always leak to the outside.

Done. It was the master cylinder. Piece of cake. cheap easy fix. Thanks for the input gentleman! Also found that the carb was a bit unbalanced. One mixture screw was a half turn off. Always amazes me how much better they run by a half a turn. lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts