Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

K&N Air Filter or ??

This truck has a K&N air filter, and recently I've read some not so good posts on them. What is everyone's take on these filters? And more importantly, what other options do I have?

I do not care for the oiled junk. I use a good paper filter such as Motorcraft or Amsoil. I doubt any noticeable gains between the two types of filters.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I run motorcraft filters. The K&N is not really a performance booster.

Ryan

I like the fact that you can just blow them out and put the filter back in without having to keep buying new ones.

The drop in K&N filter has a tendency to leak with the stock airbox if its not sealed right. I would buy a 6637 filter or a AFE Big Boost filter, there both the same size (HUGE) but the 6637 is paper and the AFE is a washable filter. The AFE flows 850cfm. I installed the AFE on mine and you can really hear that turbo whistle. Check out riffraffdiesel.com for them.

AFE or Wix/napa (6637). Ither of the 2 are great.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Do not use an oiled filter-- they're a complete scam. It is possible that it can flow more air but at the cost of allowing larger particulate through the filter media. Think about it-- same amount of filter media surface area and yet it can flow more air? Something has to give.

You'll get better filtration out of a dry paper filter. If you're running ungodly amounts of power and you really need the extra CFM then you can start looking at really fancy filters, but even then I don't think K&N is your best bet.

My brother (who researches the hell out of everything) used to swear his Tymar intake system with Donaldson filters for his 7.3L. This seems to be a popular setup with the diesel crowd.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts