Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need tips/suggestions for chaning out my wiper switch

Fellro

Staff member
Typically, they are held in a single plug. Otherwise it could be a real nightmare to hook one up... There generally is a spring clip in the knob, you push that toward the knob, and it slides off. Then you can undo the nut that holds the switch into the dash.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Right now the switch itself is dangling from the harness and not attached in any way to the know assembly. The knob is still attached to the dash.

Fellro

Staff member
If you have a knob on the switch, or a shaft at least, then the whole switch is actually still in the dash, somebody just plugged in another switch. Good for testing, not so good for continued operation...

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
If you have a knob on the switch, or a shaft at least, then the whole switch is actually still in the dash, somebody just plugged in another switch. Good for testing, not so good for continued operation...

didn't actually look behind the dash, but put my hand back there. There is like a square indention on the back of the knob that feels like it would match a plastic piece that had what looked like copper pieces on the back. This piece fell off whatever it is that is hanging from the wiring harness.

Fellro

Staff member
It would likely be where your switch used to be plugged in... Depending on whether it is all the same part, your switch may have disintegrated...

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Got it done yesterday afternoon with your helpful suggestions. Was looking all over the back of the dash for a dang allen wrench bolt. Finally noticed it wasn't on the back but on the know itself... After that it was all cake. After completely removing it I put it all together and it looks just like the part listed on ebay. Thank you again for all your help. When I put the new switch back in, would it hurt any to put dielectric grease where the harness plug attached to the switch?

Fellro

Staff member
It won't hurt a thing to do that.I thought about mentioning an allen screw in the knob, but couldn't remember if that was on a Ford or not... the newer ones use the spring clip I mentioned.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
If I remember correctly, you put the dielectric grease on the male part of the plug, right?

Will also check the connectors for corrosion. In the Marines we used to use pencil erasers to remove.

Fellro

Staff member
It is best to get the grease on the blades, doesn't matter how... I have been known to force it into the female side as well, due to difficulty getting access to the male terminals once installed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts