Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lift?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm thinking about some sort of lift, as I'm thinking of getting into wheelin...

What I've read up on (explorer forum) so far is doing something like: 1" TT and add-a-leaf.

I could then add in a 2-3" body lift.

I can't seem to find any straight up suspension lifts :confused:

Anywho, just wanted to see what ya'll had to say before I commit to a TT and add-a-leaf.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
You never mentioned what size tires you will want to run because that should be decided first. a torsion twist and shackles/add a leaf is where nearly every one starts out with an explorer. There are a couple companies like superlift that used to offer a 4 or 6" kit, but I doubt they still do.

Its really up to you if you want to do a body lift. Since you have read a lot, I am sure you have heard from many people that downsides to them. I won't recommend one at all.

The basic TT/AAL/shackles will leave you with plenty of room for 31s. If you want anything much bigger than that without a body lift, you will have to cut the truck up. That could be either the fenders, or the IFS.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
31's are all I need, or want on the explorer for that matter - I still want it DD friendly.

Any favor on shackles over AAL?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I went with shackles, mainly because the factory ones are weak if you are going to be offroad. I went with warrior shackles. You can always replace your springs later for even more lift. Your rear springs are sagged, even if you don't think they are. Park somewhere flat and measure the drivers side vs passenger side. The gas tank is on the drivers side and sags that spring much faster than the passengers side.

Just compare them in the first picture on this write up:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212451

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Shackles it is! :D

(Thanks for the write up link; much better than what I was reading)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts