Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I lost my mind 521 stroker in mustang/ranger

Shocker

Charter Member
Hi all been a while since I was hear and posted.
I just traded a 88 efi 460 for 2 73 460's and c-6 trannys. I bought a 93 mustang for $50 and have it stripped. 12pt cage is going in before long.

I decided it and the shocker will get a 521 stroker.

The car is going to be street/strip. Tranny will be a C-6 with a 2500 stall, rear narrowed 9" with 31 X 18.5 X 15 rubber, not sure of the gears yet that will be a later question. Motor will be held in place with motor plates. Running Hooker headers 2" primary and 3 1/2 collectors.

Here is the combo so far:
D1VE block 30 over
Scat series 9000 cast crank stroke 4.300
4340 forged H and I beam rods with 7/16 ARP cap screws 6.700 with 2.20 rod pin
probe forged flat top pistons 3 cc
internal balance

Will be using D3VE heads I plan on getting the 1.75 exhaust valves. porting will be done also. The dealer for this kit told me I should be around 10.4 to 10.8 compression.

I am not sure on cam yet. I am seriously considerin a hydrolic roller cam set up but have not researched them to much yet. either a comp or crane kit with lifters and springs if I go that way. I love the way my 5.0 response with the roller. Any sugestion on cam? I do not know a lot about picking cam, but I know they are the brain so to say.

Intake will be the victor or air gap.

This is my first performance build so I am doing alot of reading and now asking some questions so I do it right. This is a lot different then just a stock freshing up or rebuild. Any suggestion are greatly apprecated. This will take me a while to get all together doing it in stepps and adjusting to budget. Plus setting up the car. Hoping to have it complete misus paint to be done around July. Just want all the stuff figured out so I don't have to back step half way through. What horsepower range would this set up be in? I think I am reverting to my teen years since the heart attack. fast cars fast women and fast trucks oh ya.

Thanks Mike

F150

easy
Sounds badass. Consider a 4link. That is a lot of juice for a Fox chassis. Don't forget a drive shaft loop also. You will want slicks at the strip. My little 306 with a B-cam is at 345bhp, and is hard to stick with radials. I would guess, depending on the intake, you could make close to 500hp. The hard part is getting it to the blacktop without tire shake.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
smiliewhathesaidsmilieIagree:stupid up:

Shocker

Charter Member
Dont worry slamm you should know I take plenty of pictures and build a web page for my projects. I added some sneak preview pictures for you.

Right now I have the interior totally stripped except for the dasy and steering. The 9" needs cut down to fit before we start I think it is getting cut to 40" or 41" can't remember the numbers right off hand. It will have a 12 pt cage that will cert for at least a 9 second car per nhra. tubbed the rear wheelwells, fuel cell and rear dual batteries. Shooting to 500-600 HP smiliepeelout . The intake will also be drilled and plugged for NOS injection to be added later if i need more juice.

The rear end will be a lader bar system with coil overs. I considered the 4 link but can do what I want with a lader bar susytem and a lot cheaper. the front will be coil over 90/10 struats. Rear wheels are 15x15 with MT 15 x 18.5 DOT approved rubber for now. getting et rubber after it is running. front wheels are 15 x 6.

We measured the engine compartment and the motor. I will have 1 inch on each side after the headers go on and about 4 1/4 inches in front for the rad and electric fan to go. Motor is 32 long, 26 wide and high. engine bay is 361/2 long, 32 wide. hieght dont matter I am going to have a 4" crowl hood plus with the engine plates I can adjust the engine more then with standard motor mounts

Seems like it is going to take forever but once I get the rearend back and the oil pan I need we can start cutting and welding. Here is what it looks like now. I did this 3 hours after I got it back from st louis, 4 banger and tranny pullled and all the interior out.

1.JPG

3.JPG

8.JPG

Shocker

Charter Member
Also on a side note I just got a set of cobra gt40 heads for the 88 stang. These stroker kits have my blood boiling so I am going to stroke it also. 347 with gt40 heads and a cobra intake. should make it pick up a little more.

The best part is they will both look identical until you look at the rear wheels, interior or under the hood when not running. I have not figured out how to make the sb sound like the bb when running yet.

Storm

Looks like my old Stang from back in the day.. I ran an E303 Cam in my 5oh.. Course that was years ago.. I havent been back in a mustang in bout 8 years.. Sure a lot has changed since then..

Looking forward to the build up tho! Sounds like one tough cookie..

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. What a cool project! You ought to send the previous owner pictures just to make him wish he/she didn't sell it.

Ryan

Shocker

Charter Member
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. What a cool project! You ought to send the previous owner pictures just to make him wish he/she didn't sell it.

Ryan

I work with the gal that sold it to me. She said it would not start and a shop wanted 3800 to replace the head and timing belt. I put in a new fuel relay in and fired the 4 banger up. then pulled the motor for the big boy to go in. She wants to drive it down the strip once after it is done.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
When did you get bit by the go fast bug anyway?

Thanks for the pics and keep us updated on the progress you make, sounds like a really cool project. smiliegitrdone

Shocker

Charter Member
When did you get bit by the go fast bug anyway?

Thanks for the pics and keep us updated on the progress you make, sounds like a really cool project. smiliegitrdone

Not sure mush have been when I bought the 88 stang and discovered speed again. Think it has always been there just never enough $$$ to act on it legally.

After the mustang is done I am going to put another 521 in the ranger and strat hitting the mud runs. :)

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Does sound/look like a shaweet project, gonna have to get some videos after its running.

I'm planning either a TT or blown 460 for my '70 F-100 so I'm anxious to see how this turns out.

Shocker

Charter Member
I plan videoing it the first time I run it on a track. I will let every one know when it will be in st louis and in kansas city so u can come watch me.

Its going to be slow. so far I figure around $5-7000 to get it 80% complete. I will update as I go. Goal is to have it done by the MAR reunion next year. sometime in august or september or sooner. my friend that owns the shop I am building this in is building a 68 camero and a 27 blown rat rod. he is chevy through and through but thinks I will take the 68. I may end up with a blown 460 to get bragging rights on the 27.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Maybe when you come to St. Louis we can make a meet out of it. I'm sure it would make for a great time if everyone could make it. smiliegitrdone

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I had a 91 GT, 5.0 wasn't enough, I built a 408 Stroker carb'd , 4:10 gears. Stock T-5 car was sick, burn tires in all 4 gears, didn't try 5th. Wish I still had it.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Had street tires on it, never got it to stick. Put slicks on it wheels off the ground. Not good on gas big 800 edelbrock on top.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts