Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rebuilding A C6 automatic trany

blacksnapon

Staff member
Has anyone ever rebuilt a automatic C6 trany? If so how hard is it?
They're not too bad. Just remember, keep everything clean, and dont force anything.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
From what I hear, it's damn near the easiest Ford trans to rebuild. I was thinking about doing it, but my parts list grew to 4-500 and the shop I'm planning on using quoted me $800...so I'm gonna let the pros do what they do best.

Fellro

Staff member
In odrer to get things apart, you do need the inside snap ring pliers, and I'm not talking about the ones with the round tips, you need flat sided inside snap ring pliers. Not sure of where to find them except off a tool truck, where I got mine. Then, to get the seals out of the piston bores, you need a compressor to hold the piston down while you get those snap rings out. These are the pistons that apply pressure on the clutch packs, and fit inside the clutch drums. If I recall, you also need one for the rear of the trans housing, as there is a piston there for the low clutch. As far as automatics go, the C6 is pretty easy to deal with, and has a low number of special tools, but they do still have some. Best thing to do if you are considering doing this is to buy the rebuild manual for it.

primetime

sawmill slave
I used a TCI kit from Summit Racing. Got a tech manual from Northern Auto Parts, naparts.com. They also have a kit.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
They are the easiest to do for sure.
Take your time, if there is any question at all clean it again.

Make sure you get the check balls in all the right places too..

Other wise its all been covered.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts