Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

transmission swap ?

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Wanting to know what's involved in changing my 4-speed with the bo-low to a regular 4-speed. The truck is a extended cab 1983 F250 two wheel drive with the 351 windsor. The gearing is so low with the combination of rear end and tranny. Would it be a direct bolt up if the donor came from the same year/style/etc. Thanks smilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
Unless you are going to an overdrive, not a lot of point in swapping to essentially a car transmission. If you don't need to start out in lo, then don't, start in 2nd. The lo is for towing or heavy loads. I don't know of any truck transmissions that have a higher geared 1st that would be similar to a car that are worth putting in.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi. Thanks for the input. I never start in first unless on the farm in the fields. The truck is so low geared that on a level surface I can start in third with out any lag !! On the highway the tach reads close to 2800 rpm's at only 55 MPH. Did Ford have different gearing for trucks that would only be used for logging or in my case airport use. I need to install flashing school bus lights everytime I leave from a stop... LMAO Great truck, but man is it low geared :)

Fellro

Staff member
You should have an axle code on the door jamb. Look at the axle code and let us know what it is, and as long as it hasn't been changed, it should be what the tag says. It is possible to have 4.56's in it, more common would be 4.10's, but I don't believe they spin that fast that soon, don't recall for the moment, and don't have the time to look into it.

Fellro

Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
Well, if you run the numbers through a gear ratio calculator, the rear gears likely have been swapped, as the RPM's are close to 2800 with 4.56 gears and 245/75/16 tires. I am guessing on what you have, 235/85 16's will bring it down a bit. 9.50 16.5 is very close to 245/75 16's.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Fellro

Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
Same height as 235-85 16's, but wider.

Fellro

Staff member
Those are even shorter than the 245/75 I was expecting... so it will make a definite difference...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts