Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New guy needs vacuum routing for Ca. smog

Hi:

This new guy needs a good rendering of the vacuum line routing for an '80 F100 4.9 300 F 100. It is a Ca. truck. I have been looking for answers on that 'other' site and have come up empty.

I have to face the smog gods here soon. If I wing it I may not pass the visual, let alone get it correct. The Chilton manual schematic and the one on my radiator cowl don't match. Those little diagrams are greek to me.

The vac. hoses were all off when I picked up the truck to get it going. New head, carb, cap, rotor, waterpump and it runs good with all vacuum plugged. The heavy work was easy compared to this vacuum routing ;-)

I have been told that the man to see is Mil1ion on this forum. I looked in his gallery and saw some great drawings like I need but I did not find my application there. I can't PM yet as a newbie so I am posting here. I see no calibration code at the bottom of the diagram on my radiator cowl. I do have a 72 desgnation on the VIN tag on the door pillar. I think I read that the 72 indicates a Ca. smog truck.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate to go to a smog test/repair station and pay for something I could do....if only I knew what went where.

Thanks,
Dave

Which Transmission ?

are here any stickers on the valve cover,rad support or hood ?

Your diagrams will share that of the 1979 version.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. There are no other stickers or references to emmisions. The VIN shows 1980 and the sticker on the radiator cowl reads:

Vehicle Conforms to US E.P.A. and California regulations applicable to 1980 Model Year New Motor Vehicles

The lower part of the sticker appears to have been cut off because I can see the tips of numbers and words but can't make out the either. I have been to the wrecking yards here and have yet to find an '80 to compare routing and sticker info. A puzzle....

I don't know..maybe a switched radiator support from prior front end damage, though no repair is evident.......but then again the sticker refers to 1980 model year on the sticker.

I have two VCV thermostatic valves up front off of the water pump housing and the heater hose nipple much like the chilton diagram. On the other hand the routing in back looks much more (less complicated) like the sticker on the cowl.

Any suggestion with the limited info provided here and above? I'm stumped!
If it stumps you I'm in trouble ;-)

Thanks for the help.
Dave

Okay I am checking my 79's diagrams as it will be what you need.

I need to see the other half of that sticker though because I have an 82 book that shows that year needing the 79 equipment

Thanks for helping. You need a pic the rest of the sticker that is the left side part of the vacuum diagram? The same side that has the idle rpm, timing, and plug info on it? Or do you mean a pic of the VIN sticker? I looked high and low for the calibration sticker but no joy :-(

I'll take pics and post here in a few.

Thanks again,
Dave

007-1.jpg

Here is the left side of the sticker on the radiator cowl. A little dark in the garage and the flash was too harsh to read at all. I hope it of some use to you. I will get a better pic in the morning and send it along or just send you my album so you can zoom in.

Again, I appreciate the effort to help.

Thanks,
Dave

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Dennis, note that this sticker is 1980 related (note the E0TE prefix), not for any previous year.

A 1980 CA F100 will have: EGR, Evap Emission, Cat Converter, T/E, PCV and etc.

Dave Morgan: Are you a CA resident? If so, what city do you live in?

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Good info, Thanks for helping. Yes, I live in Merced Ca. in the central valley an hour above Fresno on 99.
Damn, I was hoping you lived in LA LA Land, so I could swing on by and take a look-see.

Merced: Is McAuley Motors still there? This former Packard/Studebaker/Edsel//Lincoln-Mercury dealer had every shop manual back to the day they opened.

Have you been there and asked if they could help?

btw: I know where Merced is, cuz McAuley used to have tons of obsolete parts for all these cars, but yours truely bought everything in 1980.

There used to be a HUGE wrecking yard in Madera: Three Boys. Someone told me it is now a Pick-a Part yard.

Last edited:
Yes Bill, McAuley Motors is still here. I bought a car from them a few years ago. If I can't get one of those good vacuum renderings from you nice guys here I'll drop down there and ask around. You took all my '80 parts huh ;-) A lot of those old parts are discontinued and I have become a regular at the wrecking yard while putting this truck back together.

There is a Razzari Ford dealership here. The parts guys now just handle the phone and the computer and are not in a real hurry to answer a question. I don't blame them but it's not like the old days when a bunch of guys would walk out, stand around an open hood and scratch their heads. If they didn't know the answer they always knew a 'guy' who did. They would even tell you how to get there or call him. Old guys helping out a kid just to help. Those were the days. Now I'm the old guy....and I still need help ;-)

Dave

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I cleaned out Razzari in 1975. I scrounged Central Valley Ford/GM and ChryCo dealerships for decades lookin' for NOS parts.

I tried for years to look at...then buy McAuley's obsolete parts, but Hector, who was the parts manager back then...always told me he was too busy.

One day I stopped in, passed along a 50 dollar bill, which 'ol Hector stuffed in his pocket...then I was allowed to look around...and ended up buying everything...that I could sell.

This was during the summer, where the temp in the attic was over 100, and I had a full cast on my left leg (I'm 6-5), due to a knee injury at work. (Crenshaw Motors Ford, where a ladder broke I was standing on).

It was a real b!tch hobblin' around the piles of parts in that attic.

The parts I bought were for Packard, Studebaker, Edsel and 1960's L/M vehicles. No one back then was lookin' for 1970's and later parts, most of which were still available from Ford.

My usual rant: The facts are > >

Most partsguys in today's world could care less about any vehicle more than 10 years old, because...

In today's world, all that's needed is a specific vehicles VIN. Once that is typed into the system, ALL the part numbers appear on the screen.

Most partsguys are not Ford partsmen...at all, they are computer certified techs. If the system goes down, many are lost and can't even figure out what tax % is supposed to be added to an invoice.

Most don't know diddly about old rolling piles of misery and even if the parts are still available, won't bother lookin' them up...and will just shine you on...by saying: OBSOLETE.

Most partsguys in today's world are doing this jazz for a paycheck, and that's about it.

Gone are the days when partsguys used to walk outside, look under the hoods of customers vehicles. Hell, most of these clucks in today's world wouldn't even know how to open the hoods!

Last edited:
Dennis, note that this sticker is 1980 related (note the E0TE prefix), not for any previous year.

A 1980 CA F100 will have: EGR, Evap Emission, Cat Converter, T/E, PCV and etc.

Dave Morgan: Are you a CA resident? If so, what city do you live in?

I am aware it is an 1980 Even though it is an 1980, it wil still share the same hose routing of a 1979 as that calibration code was used until 1981 model.
There are several possibles

9-51S-ROB
9-51T-ROB
9-52G-ROB

9-77J-RO

there were additional changes 1981

The trouble I have right now is not having a illustration of the 79 except for the same one he has on that label.

Right now I am habing trouble locating my 80 and 81 emssions book but it would only show the same routing schematic with the parts list.

For this truck the best info is the BTE on the sticker.

Last edited:
I found my 81 book but again there are CC's from 1979 and 1981 in it with ther same thing as what you have except it comes with a parts lists
Can you get me a carburetor number ?
Vacuum schematic !
All greek to you.. can you not figure out the house routing from the schematic on the sticker if we help you get through it ?

I can provide you with a 1977 or 1978 ...300 hose routing diagram

and I can provide the Emissions system illustration for the 1980 4.9 L with whatever the parts book will show.

We can also help you identify what item is what and help you via the decal schematic

Let me know How I can help.

Do you have a basic understanding of how the vacuum system works with the, EGR and CC's ?

There are a series of Thermal switches and check valves that worl with the unburned fuel,etc

Last edited:
Thanks for the continued help. I appreciate it! I would like to see the parts illustration for the '80 4.9 if I could.

I know I'm coming off a little dense when I have a diagram right here. What throws me is the diagram location of the one VCV located near the distributor. I'm pretty sure the symbol for the VCV with the dark 'v' shaped base indicates it should be in the cooling system up front, not hanging out by the distributor. Both of my VCV's (I assume vacuum control valves) are located in the thermostat housing. Another difference is the diagram shows 6 lines to and from total. My VCV trees have 7 in or out.

I do not have a line with a restricter that the diagram shows going around the back of the engine to where the diagram misplaced the one VCV. I can take care of that...but which VCV do I run it to?

A few other oddities are: The WOT port on the driver side of the carb gives me no vac. at any rpm. On the passenger side of the carb. there are two vac. ports that are also unresponsive at any throttle position. If I pull the caps I have on all 3 there is no vacuum leak at idle or WOT. That is the same on both carbs, the original and the rebuilt one on it now.

One final puzzle (to me) is that the diagram shows a DV-TW on a line running from the vapor canister to one of the VCV's. I can't find the meaning of the DV-TW acronym...Ford parts couldn't either.

At temperature(185 at the thermostat housing where the VCV'c are) I get no vacuum on the outgoing lines even when hooked to MAN VAC.

So much for what I don't know, which is considerable ;-)

The AW-BPV to RESER to VRDV to TVS is easy
The H/CL-DV to A/CL BI-MET- INT or MAN VAC to TVS is easy

The EGR valve is new. It is the backpressure type with the correct restricter washer. It tests okay with vacuum put to it at rpms. It pulls nothing at idle.

The carb on it now is a Holley rebuild of a Carter 7389-S. The original (on the truck when I got it) carb was a 7430-S. Both are listed for this application.

I have a basic understanding of the rudiments of EGR and the efforts the engineers took in the early years to reburn fuel and suck up the vapors and keep high negative pressure in the engine, and running air pumped back through the exhaust.

30 years down the road after the vehicle goes through more than a few owners, engine rebuilds and a host of Micky Mouse workarounds it is hard to put Humpty Dumpty back together. If I didn't live in this wonderful State I would just hook up the EGR and the Vac advance and call'er done. It would be a lot easier to dump it off at a test/repair shop and wait for the call when it passes. I did the head work and manifold work and changed out the other missing or worn items. I would like to fix this part of it too. Not too bright, simple pride I guess.

I was hoping to find one of those nice pretty drawings that showed left and right and suddenly it would all make sense.
Oh well.......

I'm going to put up a bunch of pics in my gallery (I guess a newbie can do that) of the way the vac tubing is currently situated If anyone sees a no-no maybe they can give me a hollar and set me straight.

Thanks again Mil1ion. I'm grateful for the help you have given me. I will pass it on as soon as I find someone dumber than I am....still looking;-)

Dave

Okay this is from a 1977 California version

click image 4 times for real closeup view

So I would assume you would like to see an image of each item listed?

Here is a list of emissions items for 1980

Last edited:
a VCV (vacuum control valve) thermally actuated usually screws into the T-stat housing

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts