PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs vacuum routing for Ca. smog

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi:

This new guy needs a good rendering of the vacuum line routing for an '80 F100 4.9 300 F 100. It is a Ca. truck. I have been looking for answers on that 'other' site and have come up empty.

I have to face the smog gods here soon. If I wing it I may not pass the visual, let alone get it correct. The Chilton manual schematic and the one on my radiator cowl don't match. Those little diagrams are greek to me.

The vac. hoses were all off when I picked up the truck to get it going. New head, carb, cap, rotor, waterpump and it runs good with all vacuum plugged. The heavy work was easy compared to this vacuum routing ;-)

I have been told that the man to see is Mil1ion on this forum. I looked in his gallery and saw some great drawings like I need but I did not find my application there. I can't PM yet as a newbie so I am posting here. I see no calibration code at the bottom of the diagram on my radiator cowl. I do have a 72 desgnation on the VIN tag on the door pillar. I think I read that the 72 indicates a Ca. smog truck.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate to go to a smog test/repair station and pay for something I could do....if only I knew what went where.

Thanks,
Dave

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 05:05 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/003-1.jpg

The pic link above shows the diagram on my radiator cowl.

The Chilton manual shows a Calif. Only diagram that varies from mine but is listed as : Calibration 9-77s-R10 6-23-80 4.9L F-350 alif. M/T

That only adds confusion here. Anyone want to chime in please?

Thanks,
Dave

Mil1ion
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Which Transmission ?

are here any stickers on the valve cover,rad support or hood ?

Your diagrams will share that of the 1979 version.

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the response. There are no other stickers or references to emmisions. The VIN shows 1980 and the sticker on the radiator cowl reads:

Vehicle Conforms to US E.P.A. and California regulations applicable to 1980 Model Year New Motor Vehicles

The lower part of the sticker appears to have been cut off because I can see the tips of numbers and words but can't make out the either. I have been to the wrecking yards here and have yet to find an '80 to compare routing and sticker info. A puzzle....

I don't know..maybe a switched radiator support from prior front end damage, though no repair is evident.......but then again the sticker refers to 1980 model year on the sticker.

I have two VCV thermostatic valves up front off of the water pump housing and the heater hose nipple much like the chilton diagram. On the other hand the routing in back looks much more (less complicated) like the sticker on the cowl.

Any suggestion with the limited info provided here and above? I'm stumped!
If it stumps you I'm in trouble ;-)

Thanks for the help.
Dave

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Opps, sorry.....you asked which trans.. It's an automatic.

Thanks,
Dave

Mil1ion
03-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Okay I am checking my 79's diagrams as it will be what you need.

I need to see the other half of that sticker though because I have an 82 book that shows that year needing the 79 equipment

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for helping. You need a pic the rest of the sticker that is the left side part of the vacuum diagram? The same side that has the idle rpm, timing, and plug info on it? Or do you mean a pic of the VIN sticker? I looked high and low for the calibration sticker but no joy :-(

I'll take pics and post here in a few.

Thanks again,
Dave

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/007-1.jpg

Here is the left side of the sticker on the radiator cowl. A little dark in the garage and the flash was too harsh to read at all. I hope it of some use to you. I will get a better pic in the morning and send it along or just send you my album so you can zoom in.

Again, I appreciate the effort to help.

Thanks,
Dave

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/004-1.jpg

This is a little better.

BKW
03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Dennis, note that this sticker is 1980 related (note the E0TE prefix), not for any previous year.

A 1980 CA F100 will have: EGR, Evap Emission, Cat Converter, T/E, PCV and etc.

Dave Morgan: Are you a CA resident? If so, what city do you live in?

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Good info, Thanks for helping. Yes, I live in Merced Ca. in the central valley an hour above Fresno on 99.

Thanks,
Dave

BKW
03-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Good info, Thanks for helping. Yes, I live in Merced Ca. in the central valley an hour above Fresno on 99.
Damn, I was hoping you lived in LA LA Land, so I could swing on by and take a look-see.

Merced: Is McAuley Motors still there? This former Packard/Studebaker/Edsel//Lincoln-Mercury dealer had every shop manual back to the day they opened.

Have you been there and asked if they could help?

btw: I know where Merced is, cuz McAuley used to have tons of obsolete parts for all these cars, but yours truely bought everything in 1980.

There used to be a HUGE wrecking yard in Madera: Three Boys. Someone told me it is now a Pick-a Part yard.

DaveMorgan
03-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes Bill, McAuley Motors is still here. I bought a car from them a few years ago. If I can't get one of those good vacuum renderings from you nice guys here I'll drop down there and ask around. You took all my '80 parts huh ;-) A lot of those old parts are discontinued and I have become a regular at the wrecking yard while putting this truck back together.

There is a Razzari Ford dealership here. The parts guys now just handle the phone and the computer and are not in a real hurry to answer a question. I don't blame them but it's not like the old days when a bunch of guys would walk out, stand around an open hood and scratch their heads. If they didn't know the answer they always knew a 'guy' who did. They would even tell you how to get there or call him. Old guys helping out a kid just to help. Those were the days. Now I'm the old guy....and I still need help ;-)

Dave

BKW
03-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I cleaned out Razzari in 1975. I scrounged Central Valley Ford/GM and ChryCo dealerships for decades lookin' for NOS parts.

I tried for years to look at...then buy McAuley's obsolete parts, but Hector, who was the parts manager back then...always told me he was too busy.

One day I stopped in, passed along a 50 dollar bill, which 'ol Hector stuffed in his pocket...then I was allowed to look around...and ended up buying everything...that I could sell.

This was during the summer, where the temp in the attic was over 100, and I had a full cast on my left leg (I'm 6-5), due to a knee injury at work. (Crenshaw Motors Ford, where a ladder broke I was standing on).

It was a real b!tch hobblin' around the piles of parts in that attic.

The parts I bought were for Packard, Studebaker, Edsel and 1960's L/M vehicles. No one back then was lookin' for 1970's and later parts, most of which were still available from Ford.

My usual rant: The facts are > >

Most partsguys in today's world could care less about any vehicle more than 10 years old, because...

In today's world, all that's needed is a specific vehicles VIN. Once that is typed into the system, ALL the part numbers appear on the screen.

Most partsguys are not Ford partsmen...at all, they are computer certified techs. If the system goes down, many are lost and can't even figure out what tax % is supposed to be added to an invoice.

Most don't know diddly about old rolling piles of misery and even if the parts are still available, won't bother lookin' them up...and will just shine you on...by saying: OBSOLETE.

Most partsguys in today's world are doing this jazz for a paycheck, and that's about it.

Gone are the days when partsguys used to walk outside, look under the hoods of customers vehicles. Hell, most of these clucks in today's world wouldn't even know how to open the hoods!

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Dennis, note that this sticker is 1980 related (note the E0TE prefix), not for any previous year.

A 1980 CA F100 will have: EGR, Evap Emission, Cat Converter, T/E, PCV and etc.

Dave Morgan: Are you a CA resident? If so, what city do you live in?

I am aware it is an 1980 Even though it is an 1980, it wil still share the same hose routing of a 1979 as that calibration code was used until 1981 model.
There are several possibles

9-51S-ROB
9-51T-ROB
9-52G-ROB

9-77J-RO

there were additional changes 1981

The trouble I have right now is not having a illustration of the 79 except for the same one he has on that label.

Right now I am habing trouble locating my 80 and 81 emssions book but it would only show the same routing schematic with the parts list.

For this truck the best info is the BTE on the sticker.

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I found my 81 book but again there are CC's from 1979 and 1981 in it with ther same thing as what you have except it comes with a parts lists
Can you get me a carburetor number ?
Vacuum schematic !
All greek to you.. can you not figure out the house routing from the schematic on the sticker if we help you get through it ?

I can provide you with a 1977 or 1978 ...300 hose routing diagram

and I can provide the Emissions system illustration for the 1980 4.9 L with whatever the parts book will show.

We can also help you identify what item is what and help you via the decal schematic

Let me know How I can help.

Do you have a basic understanding of how the vacuum system works with the, EGR and CC's ?

There are a series of Thermal switches and check valves that worl with the unburned fuel,etc

DaveMorgan
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the continued help. I appreciate it! I would like to see the parts illustration for the '80 4.9 if I could.

I know I'm coming off a little dense when I have a diagram right here. What throws me is the diagram location of the one VCV located near the distributor. I'm pretty sure the symbol for the VCV with the dark 'v' shaped base indicates it should be in the cooling system up front, not hanging out by the distributor. Both of my VCV's (I assume vacuum control valves) are located in the thermostat housing. Another difference is the diagram shows 6 lines to and from total. My VCV trees have 7 in or out.

I do not have a line with a restricter that the diagram shows going around the back of the engine to where the diagram misplaced the one VCV. I can take care of that...but which VCV do I run it to?

A few other oddities are: The WOT port on the driver side of the carb gives me no vac. at any rpm. On the passenger side of the carb. there are two vac. ports that are also unresponsive at any throttle position. If I pull the caps I have on all 3 there is no vacuum leak at idle or WOT. That is the same on both carbs, the original and the rebuilt one on it now.

One final puzzle (to me) is that the diagram shows a DV-TW on a line running from the vapor canister to one of the VCV's. I can't find the meaning of the DV-TW acronym...Ford parts couldn't either.

At temperature(185 at the thermostat housing where the VCV'c are) I get no vacuum on the outgoing lines even when hooked to MAN VAC.

So much for what I don't know, which is considerable ;-)

The AW-BPV to RESER to VRDV to TVS is easy
The H/CL-DV to A/CL BI-MET- INT or MAN VAC to TVS is easy

The EGR valve is new. It is the backpressure type with the correct restricter washer. It tests okay with vacuum put to it at rpms. It pulls nothing at idle.

The carb on it now is a Holley rebuild of a Carter 7389-S. The original (on the truck when I got it) carb was a 7430-S. Both are listed for this application.

I have a basic understanding of the rudiments of EGR and the efforts the engineers took in the early years to reburn fuel and suck up the vapors and keep high negative pressure in the engine, and running air pumped back through the exhaust.

30 years down the road after the vehicle goes through more than a few owners, engine rebuilds and a host of Micky Mouse workarounds it is hard to put Humpty Dumpty back together. If I didn't live in this wonderful State I would just hook up the EGR and the Vac advance and call'er done. It would be a lot easier to dump it off at a test/repair shop and wait for the call when it passes. I did the head work and manifold work and changed out the other missing or worn items. I would like to fix this part of it too. Not too bright, simple pride I guess.

I was hoping to find one of those nice pretty drawings that showed left and right and suddenly it would all make sense.
Oh well.......

I'm going to put up a bunch of pics in my gallery (I guess a newbie can do that) of the way the vac tubing is currently situated If anyone sees a no-no maybe they can give me a hollar and set me straight.

Thanks again Mil1ion. I'm grateful for the help you have given me. I will pass it on as soon as I find someone dumber than I am....still looking;-)

Dave

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Okay this is from a 1977 California version

click image 4 times for real closeup view

http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/46491/2631114850012099056S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2631114850012099056OYAJQk)

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
So I would assume you would like to see an image of each item listed?

Here is a list of emissions items for 1980

http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/47400/2754851870012099056S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2754851870012099056qNYXLx)

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
a VCV (vacuum control valve) thermally actuated usually screws into the T-stat housing

DaveMorgan
03-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks Mil1ion. Those will help me. I'm on the way to Ford or aftermarket to track down the VCV location confusion. I need to test some way to see if they open and or close right. Probably end up at the wrecking yard.

I'm good for now. I'll post pics in my gallery and maybe feedback from those will iron out the last few wrinkles.....enough to get past the visual and complete the smog test.

And yes, you are the 'man'.

Cheers,
Dave

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Complete Carburetor number ?

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
This may help you some as well

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Emissions%20Related/VacuumSchematicAbbreviationsFord.jpg

BKW
03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
a VCV (vacuum control valve) thermally actuated usually screws into the T-stat housing
1980 F100 4.9L A/T CA Calibration Codes:

0-52S-R0 (1980/89 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog, Text, Section 93B = Parts List #12).

0-52S-R0-10 (same as above = Parts List #126).

Both parts lists: E0TZ-12A091-A .. VCV (Motorcraft DY271) / Marked: D8AE-BA

Both parts lists: Carb ID number: E0TE-ALA / Ford part number: E0TZ-9510-AL .. 1V Motorcraft Carburetor (Motorcraft CA2287).

1980 and later: CC parts lists are a necessity, cuz without them, there is no other way to get the part numbers for emissions related jazz.

The parts are not listed separately like they were 1979 and earlier.

DaveMorgan
03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes, those last 2 posts will help. The last one cleared up the DV-TW mystery....delay valve-two way, with a part number no less.

Those 4 numbers on the carb is what the rebuilders are using for verifying the application. The numbers are located on the carb base/driver side. There is a seller of rebuilts on eBay that lists all the numbers that are correct for this engine/year including the numbers on the two I have. I bought a Holley rebuild of the Carter/Motorcraft YFA from Summit and its number fit the application by year. They originally had tags I was told. It would be rare for a tag to survive 30 years I suppose. Could it be that the number on the tag would have been the Ford part number? I would bet on that. The tags probably don't usually survive the first carb rebuild. I have forgotten to put a few back on myself ;-)

The other 3 digit numbers on the carbs are casting numbers I was told.

In any event I feel like I have enough now to piece it together to resemble the original routing.

Again...Thank you sir!

Dave

Mil1ion
03-04-2011, 06:33 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/80-96%20Ford%20Truck%20Infomation/scan0050.jpg

Need a closer look?

click this 4 times

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/46264/2141332240012099056S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2141332240012099056mxCslO)

This version below is for E-series

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/80-96%20Ford%20Truck%20Infomation/scan0052.jpg

DaveMorgan
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
YES...there it is! Great drawings Mil1ion. It shows the VCV's and the hose I'm missing on the back side..and a breakout of the thingy I'm missing on the driver side up by the valve cover, 9D474.

I think you put me over the top.

With all the diagrams you sent along and this last set make it all start to make sense.

Some other lost soul with a Ca. '80 4.9 will benefit as well.

Thanks you sir,
Dave

BKW
03-05-2011, 02:44 AM
The carb originally had a tri-angular shaped tag bolted to the airhorn I was told. It would be rare for a tag to survive 30 years I suppose.

Could it be that the number on the tag would have been the Ford part number? Absolutly not! I would bet on that. :rofl: You'd lose!

There are no actual Ford part numbers marked on any parts after 1956. Only casting and ID Engineering numbers are present (when applicable).

Casting numbers cannot be cross referenced to Ford part numbers, ID Engineering numbers can. Numbers marked on carb bases are ID Engineering numbers.

Most people haven't a single clue when Ford numbers are present...don't know a part number from a casting or ID Engineering number. I see this jazz everyday on websites, ebay and etc.

But most Ford partsguys know, cuz they've been subjected to this jazz 1000's of times.

Originally typed in post #24: Carb ID tag number: E0TE-ALA / Ford part number: E0TZ-9510-AL (Motorcraft CA2287).

E0TZ-12A091-A .. VCV Valve (Motorcraft DY271) / Marked with ID Engineering number: D8AE-BA

And, btw: There is no 9D474 = EGR Solenoid Vacuum Valve listed in either Calibration Code parts list for your trucks application. So, it's not missing, cuz it wasn't there to begin with.

While parts catalog illustrations can be used as an assembly manual, keep in mind that these are TYPICAL illustrations only...and are used by partsguys to find the basic part numbers.

Just because basic part numbers are illustrated, doesn't mean that all vehicles actually used them. It all depends on the specific vehicles application.

Mil1ion
03-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Bill is correct Dave

I tried for the EXACT routing diagram with the exact Calibration Code so I could scan the Parts list for the application you needed

Unfortunately or Fortunately depending on how you look at it Hose routing illustrations like the green one above I don't have beyond 1978. In 1979 aside from the P & I books book that Bill and I have those renderings are generic so I posted it just for something closer to go off of.

Since I can't find an 1980 book for schematics and noticed that some in 1981 continue on from 1977 Bill and I were able to only get you so close.
The best thing for you is studying the sticker schematic that you posted.

The reason why is that because there are close to 22 different calibration codes for each year ,1979-1981 It is back to you to understand and apply your sticker Vacuum Map

Here is what I was trying to find you for your truck.This one is for 6.6L from my 1982 emission book but the CC was original from 1979.

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/45236/2981966640012099056S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2981966640012099056qFEyAV)

Glad I could and feel free to plaster my user name on the other site in the 73-79 letting people know how helpful Numberdummy and Mil1ion were over at a different Ford site since they teamed up :)

If I come across anything more for your year, I'll post it here.

Zoom Zoom !

DaveMorgan
03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all of the above Bill. I'm glad that that solenoid is not correct. I'm not betting with you anymore ;-)

I am just going by the diagram now. I guess the diagram location of the second VCV shown by the distributor is approximate and that both are supposed to be together up front like mine are. I wonder why they bothered to put Front of Engine at the left margin of the routing diagram if they did not draw components where they actually are... both the VCV symbols, according to the Ford parts guy are thermostatic and need to be in the cooling system loop, not hanging out by the distributior.

There is one abbreviation, or is it acronym, that has me a little puzzled.
The sticker shows INT MAN going up to the A/CL BI-MET and on to the A/CL DV. It also requires that INT MAN go up to the second VCV off of the thermostat housing. I am guessing INT MAN is the same as MAN VAC.
I have 3 lists shorthand Fordese and INT MAN does not appear.

The only thing besides hose I need to find is the DV-TW gizmo and the V REST that goes in the line from INT MAN to the 2nd VCV.

Thanks again for all the help Bill. I'm taking pics as I go and I am going to stick them in my Gallery. Maybe they will prevent another Ca. lost soul from asking a bunch of dumb questions and making it harder than it ought to be.

Dave

Mil1ion
03-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Most of these parts can be had off cars as well and are also available new.

I don't use any of those emissions things on my pre 88-vehicles so I have some used parts for these guys.

BKW
03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/80-96%20Ford%20Truck%20Infomation/scan0050.jpg
I guess the diagram location of the second [confused] VCV...
Look to the far right in this pic...notice the arrow pointing to 12A091.

Now look below and just to the left...notice the arrow pointing to 9D473.

This 12A091 is the VCV, there is only one! / The other 12A091 (rear of engine) is a vacuum delay valve. It's plastic, round with a nipple on either side, tu-tone color coded and has an ID number molded into the plastic.

There are two of the following:

1) D3TZ-9D473-A .. EGR Vacuum Control Valve Assy / Marked: D7ZE-A1A or -B2A.

1) D8TZ-9D473-B .. EGR Vacuum Control Valve Assy (Motorcraft CX 241-A) / Marked: D8TE-B1A or -B2A.

One of these valves threads into the t/stat housing, t'other into the location shown in the pic.

Mil1ion
03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/carquest/carquest-engine-controls-catalog/2010111901/379.html#380

BKW
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I rep'd you for the above info...take a look and see what I typed. Knowing you, :rotz: I'll betcha it's accurate!

DaveMorgan
03-05-2011, 06:47 PM
You guys are good! No quit in either of you. This pic will probably explain why I'm hung up on VCV's and where they are located. Here is my setup. Not correct, if I'm not mistaken right?http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/002-1.jpg

I suppose the one on the left is correct and the one on the right is a workaround a PO added. Those two items are what have had me chasing my tail. I could not get past them without creating even more confusion.

What now guys? punt?

Thanks,
Dave

Mil1ion
03-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Those parts are designed to fit properly.

My best explanation of that pic

The hose that comes across the top to the VCV on the right..is INCORRECT

Remove it.

There should be a double nipple connector with a vacuum hose attached that slides into the two rubber receiver connector.

That plastic connector at that spot should look like this

Item 57-5116

on this page

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/carquest/carquest-engine-controls-catalog/2010111901/379.html#1360

Someone has really Batardized the vauum hoses.

Can you draw a schematic of where all the hoses attached to the VCV on the right go ?

BKW
03-06-2011, 03:56 AM
You guys are good! No quit in either of you. This pic will probably explain why I'm hung up on VCV's and where they are located. Here is my setup. Not correct, if I'm not mistaken right?http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/002-1.jpg

I suppose the one on the left is correct and the one on the right is a workaround a PO added.
Look on both of these valves for their ID numbers, post what they are.

The numbers are molded into the plastic housing on a raised oblong platform.

These numbers are a necessity, for without them...there is no way = none...we can tell you if one or both are correct...or not...for the application.

DaveMorgan
03-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Mil1ion and BKW,

Here is the best pic I could get of the numbers on the four nipple valve on the left: With my cheaters on and a magnifying glass it reads: V28 3180 There are letters near each of the four ports, and reading from the bottom up they are: S, E, M, D. The hoses incoming/outgoing are run according to the diagram. Something is not right though because there is no vacuum at operating temp at any rpm level. Bad switch?

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/002-2.jpg

The valve on the right has no numbers. There is a good sized flat area where you said to expect them, but no joy. It does have numbers/letters for each port. Reading from the bottom I see 2, D, 1..or I

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/001-1.jpg

The bottom port, still routed the way I found it, goes to MAN VAC. The next port up goes to the distributor. The loop shunt shown in the earlier pic went to the top port of the 4 port switch on the left...don't know why the PO had it there. The shunt is removed and both top ports are capped for now.

This switch provides no vacuum to the ports above the MAN VAC incoming port at operating temperature. I can pull the distributor vac line at operating temp and at any rpm above idle and it no suckee. The MAN VAC incoming at the bottom sucks like a leech. As a matter of fact this whole nest of vacuum lines sucks ;-) The diagram shows a single VCV up front and another valve over by the distributor....not two side by side.
Is the diagram always correct? How did it pass the smog visual for the PO if the second valve is out of place, doesn't work, and probably rigged wrong....

The strange part is the truck runs fine. Runs cool too. It is a smelly bugger though. It would not pass smog the way it is now. Compression is 150 on all 6 and the carb is running lean. Blowby is minimal. I timed it up by vacuum to 18 and dialed it back to 17 and sitting now at 12 BTDC.

New carb, new head, new iginition stuff, new EGR, new fuel, no intake leaks...

Oh well....I will go stare at the diagram again for awhile.

Dave

Mil1ion
03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
The VCV that shows near the distributor on the diagram doesn't necessarily mean it mounts near the dist.
It is only there to show the routing of hoses.
You will also notice that one of those ports is CAPPED on that VCV

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Emissions%20Related/003-1.jpg

Looks likes it is time for me to start scanning and posting what operation certain parts do and how to test them.

Mil1ion
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
also have you been to any of the Inline 6 forums on the net ?

someone might have a photo they can share

https://fordsix.com/forum/index.php?sid=4a1443719362fd13629c6f8ec09f42eb

Mil1ion
03-06-2011, 01:12 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Emissions%20Related/VCVDescription.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Emissions%20Related/VCVFunctionTest.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Emissions%20Related/VDVDescription.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Emissions%20Related/VDVFunctionTest.jpg

DaveMorgan
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/003-1.jpg

Both you and BKW have me on the right track now. the left valve
9D473 that BKW wrote me about and again with the 12A091, the valve on the right are the valves I have. The info on the 4 port valve explaning that it is just two 2-2 ports stacked allowed me to do the cold tests outlined. I'll give them the operating temp test this evening.

I pulled it all apart,started over and rerouted everything to match the sticker pic below. All looks good and proper except the shown line coming over from Purge CV.

I have no line or DV-TW (two delay valve to run to the the 3rd port down on the 4 port switch. The only thing I have is the vapor recovery plastic jug under the battery. It has the big line to the Bowl vent and a smaller line teed down low. My plastic jug doesn't have multiple ports as the diagram pic attached below marked Purge CV shows. Would that be the black can that I see referred to in some emissions posts? Looks like I'm short according to the diagram. One interesting thing.....that shunt from the right hand valve over to the 4 port valve appears to be correct as per the diagram if placed in the 2nd port down. Thoughts?

Thanks to you and BKW for all the visual aids, part numbers and advice. I know how much time I have spent trying to get this right. In this day and age to know there are a couple of nice guys spending time trying to help
a stranger lost in the weeds is a nice feeling. I am grateful.

Dave

Mil1ion
03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
See if this helps

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/80-96%20Ford%20Truck%20Infomation/1980Emissionhoses.jpg

BKW
03-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Dennis, please scan and post the following: Illustration Section 96, Page 4.

This is the air cleaner and the OP needs to see it, cuz a corrogated paper hose (9D667) routes from the charcoal cannister to the air cleaner.

I'll explain how the hose attaches once the pic is shown.

Mil1ion
03-07-2011, 01:22 AM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/80-96%20Ford%20Truck%20Infomation/scan0054.jpg

BKW
03-07-2011, 02:58 AM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/80-96%20Ford%20Truck%20Infomation/scan0054.jpg
A corrogated paper hose (D4ZZ-9D667-A-not ID'd in pic) routes from the valve on the charcoal cannister to a plastic elbow (384411-S pictured below) that attaches to the ventilation filter (D1ZZ-9D695-A) that fits inside the air cleaner.

This filter has a nipple on it (on the side you cannot see). The nipple pokes thru the hole in the air cleaner, a clip (D1AZ-9D628-B) retains it in place.

This clip also retains the 90 degree plastic elbow that the corrogated hose attaches to.

The exact same hose, filter, clip and elbow were used on a gazillion I-6 & V8 1971/80's Passenger Cars, Trucks, Bronco's and Econolines, so should be EZ to find in wrecking yards.

DaveMorgan
03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/002-3.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/001-2.jpg

Thanks for those parts break-out pics. All good stuff. I have everything routed correctly now as per the sticker. You to guys got me over that hump so I'm pretty happy and beholden to for your patience and help. I wanted to get it 'factory' and you got me there.

I'm finishing up today with the last bit, the choke. Above is a pic of the two pieces that were laying in a box in the truck bed. I have read a ton on the choke stove here and on the 'other' site. Some really good stuff. The first pic above shows the pipe coming up from the indented hole in the exhaust manifold. I cleaned out the hole and have the pipe end seated well with the ridge on the end of the pipe butting up snug. It will not fall out. It rises up and appears near the large nipple on top of the carb...it doesn't go to that does it? If not where...and if not...then what the heck is that nipple there for?

The other pipe is the one that goes to the fitting on the side of the choke assembly. I probably missed it.....but..where does that pipe go down to. I don't have the plate that some pics show both tubes decending through, nor the asbestos/? wrap on it that some pics show. I'm curious to learn where it goes. That line is under vacuum and sucks like mad. A built in vacuum leak if left open. I'm feeling dumb again because I read some of the well put together answers to these questions and the replies after being schooled by the expert are followed by forehead smacks and "oh know I see how it works" from the OP. But without an idea of where it goes without creating a vacuum leak I can't smack my forehead.

If some kind soul will set me straight on these last couple points.....I will be done and off to put a new exhaust and cats on the resurrected beast. Then I can go back to building VW engines, where I know what the heck I'm doing. Water in an engine? On purpose? Sounds crazy to me ;-)

Thanks,
Dave

Mil1ion
03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
The pipe from the choke goes to the exhaust manifold hole

That pipe is used to draw WARM/HOT air to the choke hosuing using Vacuum.

Thus a vacuum loop.

You need some vauum hose to connect that pipe to that open nipple. Once the Air Cleaner goes back on that nipple becomes part of the closed vacuum Loop

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Fuel%20System/scan0055.jpg

DaveMorgan
03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Now I get it. It IS a loop. The exhaust manifold has a through hole in the out side exhaust manifold jacket. Find the upper hole for the choke assembly vacuum down pipe and I have a loop. Forehead slap ;-)

All the drawings you guys have posted have been a blessing. I learned something and avoided taking it to a test/repair shop. It is running cleaner now and with new cats I should be able to pass smog.

You are probably sick of hearing it, but again I have to tell you and BKW what a help all of your drawings and tips have been. You both have been very patient and I'm in your debt. If I ever break a hard to find part I would buy it from you no matter the cost just to try, in a small way, to repay you.

Regards,
Dave

m78
03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Now I get it. It IS a loop. The exhaust manifold has a through hole in the out side exhaust manifold jacket. Find the upper hole for the choke assembly vacuum down pipe and I have a loop. Forehead slap ;-)

All the drawings you guys have posted have been a blessing. I learned something and avoided taking it to a test/repair shop. It is running cleaner now and with new cats I should be able to pass smog.

You are probably sick of hearing it, but again I have to tell you and BKW what a help all of your drawings and tips have been. You both have been very patient and I'm in your debt. If I ever break a hard to find part I would buy it from you no matter the cost just to try, in a small way, to repay you.

Regards,
Dave

It was probably Mil1ion that posted the pictures, and BKW with the numbers that helped

Mil1ion
03-07-2011, 06:49 PM
You can give us some rep points and spread the word that the Ultimate Ford Info Guys are on FTF

Mil1ion
03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I do more than post pictures

DaveMorgan
03-11-2011, 08:50 PM
For any of you Ca. early truck owners that followed this thread, and especially for the two gurus that showed me the how/what/why/ where of the complex Ca. emissions setup on my '80 F 100 4.9....Here are the results of the smog test.

I was not feeling real good about the truck passing so I had a pre-test done. I didn't want the test hooked into the state computer and maybe end up designated as a "Gross Polluter" if it failed. You could have knocked me over with a feather when it passed the pre-test with good numbers. They ran it through again hooked up to Gov. Brown's computer and it came out a winner again.

These old trucks are classified as having a High Emitter Profile and are noted as such as the reason for the test.

If you have a need for help in this or any area Mil1ion and BKW are the men to see. If they can school this dummy they have to be good ;-) Below is the test. Small print so i hope you can see it... Pretty darn impressive for a wrecking yard engine repaired by an ancient senior. Ya gotta gloat sometimes....

Dave,

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/camoclown/004-3.jpg

BKW
03-11-2011, 09:00 PM
They ran it through again hooked up to Gov. Moonbeam's computer and it came out a winner again.
Fixed it for ya. Another reference to Moonbeam when he ran for re-election a coupla decades ago: If it's brown, flush it!

This the third go-around for Moonbeam, it took him 20 years to win his 3rd term.

Merrio
03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
This diagram is helpful , but , the distributor cap is in the front of our setup . By any chance , do you have the '81 schematic for vac hoses with the cap in the front ? I am a real newby when I'm trying to figure it out for myself . All my experience has been helping others with rebuilds ... They had the knowledge Hahaha ! There is no decal scematic on our Camper that I can see :-(

I found my 81 book but again there are CC's from 1979 and 1981 in it with ther same thing as what you have except it comes with a parts lists
Can you get me a carburetor number ?
Vacuum schematic !
All greek to you.. can you not figure out the house routing from the schematic on the sticker if we help you get through it ?

I can provide you with a 1977 or 1978 ...300 hose routing diagram

and I can provide the Emissions system illustration for the 1980 4.9 L with whatever the parts book will show.

We can also help you identify what item is what and help you via the decal schematic

Let me know How I can help.

Do you have a basic understanding of how the vacuum system works with the, EGR and CC's ?

There are a series of Thermal switches and check valves that worl with the unburned fuel,etc

Merrio
03-30-2011, 05:10 PM
smilieFordlogo Will FB this ! For Ultimate Ford Info Go to FTF !

You can give us some rep points and spread the word that the Ultimate Ford Info Guys are on FTF