Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

56 f100 power steering

im trying to find out if i can take the front end off an 1982 lincoln contenental and put it in a 1956 f100 to use the power steering i think its what my boss wants me to do to his doughters truck

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Continental or Town Car?

Oh, and

Welcome to FTF!
seeyamustang.gif

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Crown Vic, Merc Grand Marquis, Town Car (1980 and later) same-o same-o. 1982/87 Continental Sedan is a Fox body, 1988 and later is FWD (and is nothing more than a reskinned Taurus/Sable).

1977/80 Lincoln Versailles is a reskinned Granada/Monarch. None of these cars have the same wheel bolt circle pattern wheels as the F100's.

Last edited:
The easiest IFS swap I have found for anything with 34" wide rails is the 2003-2011 Crown Vic. Alum crossmember with everything mounted to it. Mounts with 4 main bolts. You will need to fab some rear mounts for the lower control arms. Naturally you will have to fab steering shaft to connect the rack to the column, motor mounts. Depending on what you have for brakes will depend on what you will need to do to the brake system. You get 12" rotors, dual piston calipers, handling pkg & pwr rack & pinion steering. The lock to lock on the rack is either 2.25 or 2.5 turns. You will get a drop of roughly 3 or so inches. Eaton Detroit makes 1" & 1 1/2" drop springs.

Drawback would be the wider hub to hub which is not really a drawback as it gives more stability to the vehicle but you are limited on wheel offset. Another would be bolt pattern if you want the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. Neither mattered to me. In fact getting rid of the 5x5.5 pattern opens up more wheel choices. If you have any questions feel free to hollar. I have a build thread on a different forum along with a couple other well documented swaps.

Anything earlier than 2003 in the CV family is a frame clip.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts