Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

heating and cooling issue

i have a 1992 f250 with a 7.3 idi and banks sidewinder kit i just bought this truck and it runs real good but the temp gage will only move up just below the "n" on normal and i have no heat. the rad is full of coolant. the hose to the passenger side head gets pretty warm the other heater core hose is cold 2hr of driving and i can stick my hand in the radiator and not get burned its hot but no where near enough to get burned by it. it doesnt seem like the coolant is circulating either i couldnt feel any coolant move in the upper rad. hose wen i squeezed it and also wen i pulled the rad cap off i couldnt see the coolant circulating either. i am not sure where to begin on this any advice would be greatful.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would start by changing the t-stat being the cheapest part. Also check for coolant flow through the heater core you can remove the hose that you said was cold and have someone start the truck, coolant should be flowing. If you have no flow the heater core maybe pluged, remove hose from the other side and try if it shows flow when started the core is pluged you can attempt to backflush core with a hose to unplug the core or it would have to be replaced.

Fellro

Staff member
It isn't uncommon for these trucks to run cooler like that, but they will still put out heat. I would venture to guess you may well have a plugged heater core. If you take the hose off to check flow, keep in mind the hose from the motor will still kick out coolant.Be best if you could block it off somehow, like a plug clamped in, then try to see if you get coolant. You could also try disconnecting both hoses, and use a garden hose to check flow, might just flush it out.

well i changed the thermostat and still had an issue and found that the heater core was plugged up so i connected the 2 heater lines together to bypass the core for now and now it is running at normal operating temp. i am getting a heater core tommorrow i will let yall know how it turns out. thanks for the replies.

well i now ran into another problem i now have oil in my radiator and overflow tank and antifreeze is leaking from behind the block somewhere and running down the starter and my oil looks like black jello on the dip stick so i guess i have a blown head gasket now? at least it didnt over heat it never went past the halfway mark.

Fellro

Staff member
May or may not be head gaskets. It could well be a seal in the oil cooler as well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts