Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question of the day! Wax or windex?

Wax your windows or use Windex?

• Total voters

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Here's what I'm out to know... do ya'll wax your windows of just break out the Windex/generic?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Windex (I just use a generic glass cleaner from a parts store, it's like a buck 99) with a 'cleaning' microfiber then follow up with a 'polishing' microfiber...otherwise, it'll get streaky. I've also found that cloth baby diapers are a good combo cleaner/polish rag (but I've used those up on my rims).

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Windex or equivalent for me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Forget Windex, it's crap as it's nothing more than soap and water. It streaks like he!! if you don't do a good job removing it and IMO, it's just as worthless as teats on a mule.

Use Invisible Glass instead (which contains none of the crap Windex does) and is available from most autoparts stores.

Windex will not remove pollution from the glass. Invisible Glass will remove some of it. But, if you use this product and a clay bar (as I do), all will be gone.

When sunlight hits the glass, the tiny drops of pollution look like tiny pits, and if real bad, may look like cracks.

Glass Wax has been around for decades. When wiped off, it leaves a powdery white residue that gets all over everything...you'll have ta wash the pile of miseries or use a CA duster to get rid of it.

Both Glass Wax and Windex were once "state of the art" but the years have passed both of them by. Invisible Glass is a faaar better product.

And...no one on God's green earth is more anal about detailing vehicles than I am, so I buy the best and cry only once.

Last edited:
Windex, then Rain-X.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I use spray on (brand name) glass cleaner and rainex. I also use rainex winshield washer fluid. I use the rainex in teh little yellow bottle that you have to apply with a cloth or paper towel. I tried the spray on stuff and it didn't work like the original in the yellow bottle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I also use rainex winshield washer fluid.

I've actually used straight Windex before. Dunno what kinda ill effects it had/has, but my windshield was never cleaner.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
The last time I put rainex on my 08 was 2 years ago. The rainex washer fluid makes the appication last.

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
I agree with BKW, Windex is total crap. I have also used invisible glass but cant remember how it turned out. I think that taking a clay bar to the windshield is probably the only way to really clean the fallout pollution. The best way to clean glass if you don't want to use the clay bar is to use a mixture of ammonia and water and a bunch of newspapers.

I do think that some types of wax do a good job of keeping the water from streaking the windshield. I always spray the wax stuff from the pressure car washes on my windshield. RainX can work but I've found it hard to apply without some kind of funky streaking going on. I probably should try a buffing ball like Austin.

For now I use the clay bar after washing the windshield with whatever glass cleaner I can find other than windex. Then I'll apply either rain X or some type of wax.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I use my windshield wipers and wiper fluid, or wait for it to rain.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
No windex... ever.

sprayway-glass-cleaner-19oz.jpg

Sprayway glass cleaner, three-pac at Costco, or singles at Wally world. No streaks, no stories. Also a miracle cleaner on upholstery and carpets.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I've always used the two waterless carwash products I've used for the windows as well and they've both worked just fine on the windows. I've used DriWashnGuard and Fukken Wax.

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
I wait till a good hard rain, then I drive real fast with the wipers onsmilietease

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts