Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

capless fuel system

blacksnapon

Staff member
Subject: New Easy Fuel capless fuel filler system launches on 2008 ½ Explorer and Mountaineer

Overview
2008 Model Year Ford Explorer 4 Door (NA for Sport Trac) and Mercury Mountaineer will be launching Easy FuelTM capless fuel filler system on all vehicles produced after December 2, 2007.

Benefits
The Easy FuelTM capless fuel filler system is another example of innovation from Ford Motor Company. The Mercury Mountaineer and Ford Explorer will be the first mass-produced vehicles in North America to offer this feature that enables customers to fuel their vehicle without opening or closing a traditional fuel cap. Customers will benefit in these primary ways:

Faster and easier fill ups – No cap to unscrew or attach will simplify and speed up trips to the pump
Clean Hands – Without the need to remove or replace the gas cap, customers reduce the chances of having the smell of gas on their hands when filling up
Consistent Seal – Customers are not responsible for sealing the system which will ensure the system is always sealed. The less time the fuel filler is open, the fewer gasoline fumes are released into the environment
No lost gas caps – Without a cap to leave behind, customers can be sure to always have a seal for their fuel system without worrying about a gas cap

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Vince it'd also be great if you could send me a copy of the prototype. I'd like to inspect it.

Oh and could you send me some fuel to test it with? I think 200 gallons should suffice ;)

capless2.jpg

Capless1.jpg

Notice I by-passed the first impulse of posting a pic of a bald guy filling up... Another "CAPLESS" fueling, lol...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That's only because you don't have a picture of Todd filling up his truck, otherwise you WOULD have :rofl2:

Is that the real Ford capless fuel door?

It's on a mustang GT, and yes, it is real lol...

As for the "other", well, this lady shows why we don't want to get too near Todd at the pump for a pic or any other reason:
http://www.youtube.com/v/b3x-8tj49ac&rel=1

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Subject: New Easy Fuel capless fuel filler system launches on 2008 ½ Explorer and Mountaineer

Overview
2008 Model Year Ford Explorer 4 Door (NA for Sport Trac) and Mercury Mountaineer will be launching Easy FuelTM capless fuel filler system on all vehicles produced after December 2, 2007.

Benefits
The Easy FuelTM capless fuel filler system is another example of innovation from Ford Motor Company. The Mercury Mountaineer and Ford Explorer will be the first mass-produced vehicles in North America to offer this feature that enables customers to fuel their vehicle without opening or closing a traditional fuel cap. Customers will benefit in these primary ways:

Faster and easier fill ups – No cap to unscrew or attach will simplify and speed up trips to the pump
Clean Hands – Without the need to remove or replace the gas cap, customers reduce the chances of having the smell of gas on their hands when filling up
Consistent Seal – Customers are not responsible for sealing the system which will ensure the system is always sealed. The less time the fuel filler is open, the fewer gasoline fumes are released into the environment
No lost gas caps – Without a cap to leave behind, customers can be sure to always have a seal for their fuel system without worrying about a gas cap

Hmmmm........seems a little like reinventing the wheel, to me.....

Besides, if you're too lazy or forgetful to take the cap off and put it back on, you might not want to be driving ;)

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
It's on a mustang GT, and yes, it is real lol...

As for the "other", well, this lady shows why we don't want to get too near Todd at the pump for a pic or any other reason:
http://www.youtube.com/v/b3x-8tj49ac&rel=1
Ah, diesel doesn't do that. :p

As for the cap, is that like a little plastic ball that just springs out of the way to let the filler neck go in? If so, what are the chances that's gonna wear to the point it falls down into the tank or just stays open one day?

Ah, diesel doesn't do that. :p

Even Diesel will do it if you heat it to about 105.
Nitro-meth CERTAINLY will do it..
Most of all, we know YOU'D do it!

is that like a little plastic ball that just springs out of the way to let the filler neck go in? If so, what are the chances that's gonna wear to the point it falls down into the tank or just stays open one day?
No, It's a spring-loaded cap that swings down, and I imagine it'll last about as long as that silly one they've put in cars since the 70's with that metal flap that only allows you to put in the UNLEADED nozzles.... some of you may remember they were, once upon a time, two different sizes....
dob.gif

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hmmmm........seems a little like reinventing the wheel, to me.....

Besides, if you're too lazy or forgetful to take the cap off and put it back on, you might not want to be driving ;)

Gunner
It's right in line with one touch down windows,and memory seats.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
No, It's a spring-loaded cap that swings down, and I imagine it'll last about as long as that silly one they've put in cars since the 70's with that metal flap that only allows you to put in the UNLEADED nozzles.... some of you may remember they were, once upon a time, two different sizes....
dob.gif

You mean the ones that usually ended up in the bottom of the gas tank if you hit them with a hammer handle just right? Yeah I remember those :D

Gunner

Fellro

Staff member
Seems to me that NASCAR and other racing series cars have been using that kind of thing for a few years now... I'm with Gunner though, that is sheer laziness at it's best...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you read Vince's post about the advantages of this cap I think it's a good idea, more than just laziness. Would prevent people from leaving their cap on the trunks of their cars (the one on my mom's Lexus doesn't have a leash), it prevents the user from having to make sure that they have seal the gas tank correctly (how hard is it? but I'm sure SOMEONE could screw it up). And even if you're argument IS that it's laziness, so what? It makes our lives easier. Has anything been invented in the past 10 years that isn't a direct result of us being lazy? How 'bout these forums? This is our way of not having to correspond via written letters or a physical message board posted in a public place. So I supposed you're too LAZY to write letters back and forth with all the members?! :rofl:

Take anything that's been invented in the last time 10 years and tell me it's not a result of us being lazy. Remote controls for TVs? Lazy. Wireless routers for computers, so we can use our computers in bed? Lazy! Or how about these trucks we're all driving around instead of walking or riding a bike. LAZY!! (and before any of the smarta$$'s get on and say that car's weren't invented in the last 10 years, I WASN'T IMPLYING THAT!! :p)

Last edited:
would ya looky there... the Hippie's cryin' about the "Good Ol' Days"!

As for message boards and letter writing...
I didn't write letters BEFORE the internet, and were it to blow up today, I probably wouldn't then, either. Laziness? Maybe. But before the internet, there was the PHONE... so you skipped a step. Maybe it's just that the concept of stamps/envelopes/notes all being in the same room at the same time are beyond my grasp. I can't tell you how many times I sat down, wrote a letter, stamped it, sealed it and put it IN THE MAILBOX on its way, only to talk to the recipient on the phone or in person before it arrived and subsequently cover every subject I had bothered to write about. When the letter DID arrive, oftimes they thought I was REALLY tryng to drive my point home by repeating myself! Online I can type out what I want to say, send it, and not worry about repeating myself.
Phones I brought up... let me dwell on that. Used to be that to call home or dispatch from the road, I had to get off the highway, park the truck, get to the payphone, find the change or a calling card, make the call, and get back to the truck and back on the road. Average time lost, not counting the call itself? 20 minutes. With the advent of Cell service and its advances I save close to 2 hours a day, since often I had to stand at the phone redialing due to busy signals or the ever-endearing "Call me back in 15 minutes". The time I save results in extra hours to WORK, not play.

I have 2 TVs in this house that CANNOT be operated WITHOUT the remote. considering I spend an average of 2 hours per week SEARCHING for said remotes, I hardly consider this time-saving. And the truck I drive, cannot be replaced by a bicycle. I have yet to see a bike that can gross 80k and get to LA in 2 days. Sorry, this isn't laziness; it's efficiency.

LAZINESS is grocery shopping at 7-11 or In N Out Burger. Laziness is the attitude that thinks all those groceries or auto parts or replacement Fuel Caps will magically appear on the shelves should we need more, and that noone needs put forth any effort for them to get there. Laziness is blaming someone else for something WE ourselves could have fixed, prevented or improved.
I know a guy who sits on his tail with a TV and a remote in front of him. He likes a good meal and takes mechanical transportation just about everywhere he goes.
He also produces about 8 million pounds of corn and soybeans annually and harvests about 3000 turkeys....

Lazy?
Don't get me wrong, chris; I'm not mad or insulted. There is some truth to what you say... but all things in perspective.

The Gas Cap is a stop-gap for the absent minded, even perhaps the disabled... but it the knowledge of KNOWING your tank is sealed and you didn't leave your cap back at the station keeps your mind on what you are DOING... as in DRIVING, then I welcome it with open arms.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
LOL, Tom we are on the same page buddy. Except I suppose your idea of lazy is a bit different from mine. Regardless, I don't think that this gas cap is a direct result of people being lazy, I think it's a useful invention that will HELP consumers when fueling their cars.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
LOL, Tom we are on the same page buddy. Except I suppose your idea of lazy is a bit different from mine. Regardless, I don't think that this gas cap is a direct result of people being lazy, I think it's a useful invention that will HELP consumers when fueling their cars.

It's for those poor souls who can't grasp the "Righty Tighty - Lefty Loosey" concept ;)

Gunner

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Todd - "What's the Righty Tighty / Lefty Loosey concept?"
Chris - "It's like the 'Don't mess with your truck and it won't blow up' concept."
Todd - "I'm not familiar with that one..."
Chris - "I'll explain when you're older."

:rofl2:

It's for those poor souls who can't grasp the "Righty Tighty - Lefty Loosey" concept ;)

Gunner

LOL... That's why I said, "but if the knowledge of KNOWING your tank is sealed and you didn't leave your cap back at the station keeps your mind on what you are DOING... as in DRIVING, then I welcome it with open arms."

I want NOTHING deterring the minds of the mentally deficient while I have to deal with them on the road... in other words, one less reason for their minds to be on their DRIVING and not off wondering,"did I leave the gas cap off....?"

Since physically removing them from the road is impossible, and the Government seems bent on issuing licenses to everyone but those who NEED one, well, I say more power to stuff like this!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts