Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1967 Ford popping constantly

What are the points .017? and what would cause popping when i accelerate? i replaced the following....spark plugs and wires voltage regulator. all the hoses. and air cleaner... I still have the smog pump on do i have to cap everything off or is it fine without capping it off??? and on the fuel gauge sender the ORANGE wire that runs threw a bunch of connectors can i just run the orange wire directly from the sender to the gauge in the dash?

Incorrect timing could be the cause.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You no need to cap off any lines that may be vacuum related. And popping can be a fuel issue or timing issue. Timing would be easiest to figure out, by throwing a timing light on there and seeing where you're at.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
What are the points .017? and what would cause popping when i accelerate? i replaced the following....spark plugs and wires voltage regulator. all the hoses. and air cleaner... I still have the smog pump on do i have to cap everything off or is it fine without capping it off??? and on the fuel gauge sender the ORANGE wire that runs threw a bunch of connectors can i just run the orange wire directly from the sender to the gauge in the dash?
The timing is off. You didn't say what engine this is, but if a 352, this is common. The timing chain has stretched, so...it's time for another and new cam/crank gears.

If a 352, Ford at one time supplied C6AZ6052A .. Tapered Screw / Used to plug T/E (Thermactor Emission: smog pump) holes in the heads.

There are right & left smog pump manifolds, they attach to the heads with nuts and ferrules. Take this jazz off, fill the holes with these tapered screws.

1966/67, some 1968 F100's and various Passenger Cars sold new in CA required T/E.

You will need 8 of these screws, let me know what area you live in, I'll find them for you. Don't bother with autoparts stores, they never sold them...Ford dealer item only.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
If it hasnt had a timing chain done before that old nylon gear could be startin to come apart as well. Easiest way is to mark the balncer at 8 degrees BTC or whatever you want to time it in at and throw a timing light on it. If the mark bounces around then the chain is shot and should be replaced soon before you bend a valve.

The timing is off. You didn't say what engine this is, but if a 352, this is common. The timing chain has stretched, so...it's time for another and new cam/crank gears.

If a 352, Ford at one time supplied C6AZ6052A .. Tapered Screw / Used to plug T/E (Thermactor Emission: smog pump) holes in the heads.

There are right & left smog pump manifolds, they attach to the heads with nuts and ferrules. Take this jazz off, fill the holes with these tapered screws.

1966/67, some 1968 F100's and various Passenger Cars sold new in CA required T/E.

You will need 8 of these screws, let me know what area you live in, I'll find them for you. Don't bother with autoparts stores, they never sold them...Ford dealer item only.

Its got a 390. I live in Sacramento California. Near Roseville and Folsom. so the smog pump there are 3 hoses the 2 that go to the maifolds and the one that goes and hooks up behind the carb.

Attachments

• DSC01884.JPG
  • DSC01885.JPG
Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts