Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 72 F100 SportCustom

Hey yall.New here.Just wanted to show you my new project.Gonna tear it down to the frame when i get back from iraq.Got alot planed for this old truck.Seems pretty stright forward thow.Nothing to crazy.Gonna keep it simple.I will be useing it to pull around my toys.Let me know what ya think.:)

2011-01-23162308.jpg

2011-01-23162248.jpg

2011-01-23162203.jpg

2011-01-23161909.jpg

2011-01-23161744.jpg

2011-01-23161712.jpg

My plans are..
rebuild the engine,rebuild the trans,rebuild the rear with 4.11s
Add power brakes.Strip truck down to frame.Powder coat the frame.New bushing everywhere.New shocks and springs.LineX bed and inside of cab.Undercoat bed,cab and front section.Re-build the seat.New stereo and speakers in the door.Shot a coat of grey primer and some clear on it.The engine bay will be Blue and Silver.And few other small things.Shouldnt take me long.I will post a Build Thread when i kick it off.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
He's got pics! I like this guy already!!! :D

Looks like you'll have a nice build. Have fun with it!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks like a helluva specimen to start as a project...should be relatively easy going for you.

Hey thanks guys.Yeah the body is real stright and theres no seriouse cancer.Just light sruface rust.Got the truck for 800 bucks when i was home on mid tour leave.Runs and drives good just needs some TLC.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Sounds like a good score!

Thanks guys.I got the motor and trans lined up now im looking into the rear end.Prob gonna put a GM 14bolt back there and machine adapters so i can keep the stock wheels.I love how simple this truck is.

14bolt rear ends are bullet proof.Its what we use in all of our mud trucks and rock climbing jeeps.And iv got 5-6 of them laying around with everything from 4.10 to 5.36.Iv also heard horror stories about "stock" 9" rear ends as well.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I agree the Corporate 14 is pretty sweet and probably the best '1 ton' rear axle produced (IMO). However, the 9" is a venerable axle...it's a staple in drag racing...not the 14 bolt. I think the 14 gets the majority of it's hype from the offroad world. If it were me though, I wouldn't rule out a built 9", a D70 or a Sterling 10.25/10.5. Something to keep in mind, those '1 tons' are heavy SOB's.

Verry true about being heavy.And yes its all we use in our off road applications.Im mainly building the truck to pull and haul.So anything i can get that is HD,weather i need it or not,i would like to use.I think of it as like building a drag car.If your motor only has 500hp your driveline should be able to handle 1000.Nothing aginst the 9".I have used it many of times in under 10 sec cars.Iv just heard horror stories about it when it comes to pulling

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I hear ya...well I'm glad to see you apply to my school of reasoning 'there's no such thing as overkill'. Like I said, I don't necessarily think it's a bad move, just wanted to make sure you knew there were other options and that the 9' is an extremely capable axle.

Well for the time being i will have to work with the 9" i got.I will be rebuilding it with 4.11 gears and braceing the center with axle tubes for add strength.I go big or go home when it come to durabillity.LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts