Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sprag for a Borg Warner T85N OD tranny

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Please describe what O/D part you are calling a sprag.

The only sprag I know about is in a Packard Ultramatic A/T.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Not really sure myself Bill. 7 weeks ago I took my truck to a tranny guy to have the OD fixed. He opened it up (3 weeks later) and said the sprag was shattered. I had never heard of a sprag, so I had to google it... It appears to also be called a one way clutch or something like that. Found that on some discussion board with I googled.

Do you happen to have an exploded view of the Borg Warner T85N OD tranny with part numbers listed? Would be curious to see if this guy isn't just jerking my chain.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Not really sure myself Bill. 7 weeks ago I took my truck to a tranny guy to have the OD fixed. He opened it up (3 weeks later) and said the sprag was shattered. I had never heard of a sprag, so I had to google it... It appears to also be called a one way clutch or something like that. Found that on some discussion board with I googled.

Do you happen to have an exploded view of the Borg Warner T85N OD tranny with part numbers listed? Would be curious to see if this guy isn't just jerking my chain.
No one way clutch listed either...there has to be another name for it.

Dunno if Mil1ion has the 1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog, but if he does, ask him to scan and post this:

Illustration Section 70.3, Page 5 ~ Shows an exploded view of the entire O/D unit.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Will do Bill. Let me ask you another thing. This guy also told something with my steering column needed to be replaced. Figured this based on the "looseness" in the shifter. He ended up ordering a 70's replacement part but said it didn't fit. Then tried to blame me by saying that the power steering was not stock when I bought it but was added later or as an option, basically saying I should have know that, not him, when he decided to order the replacement parts...

Another name I found was one way sprag clutch or a roller???

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Will do Bill. Let me ask you another thing. This guy also told something with my steering column needed to be replaced. Figured this based on the "looseness" in the shifter. He ended up ordering a 70's replacement part but said it didn't fit. Then tried to blame me by saying that the power steering was not stock when I bought it but was added later or as an option, basically saying I should have know that, not him, when he decided to order the replacement parts...

Another name I found was one way sprag clutch or a roller???
There are upper/lower bearing/retainers in the column. Both are available from Ford.

The M/T shift collar is obsolete, but a coupla days ago on t'other site, I found 72 of them NOS when someone asked about it.

Whatever is loose in the column, I guar-an-tee whatever the part is to fix it, can be found for a nominal price.

The mechanic sounds like a FIRST CLASS DUNCE, hasn't one single clue. Does he have a shop, or is he the "shade tree" version?

Ask Dennis to post that parts catalog pic.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
There are upper/lower bearing/retainers in the column. Both are available from Ford.

The M/T shift collar is obsolete, but a coupla days ago on t'other site, I found 72 of them NOS when someone asked about it.

Whatever is loose in the column, I guar-an-tee whatever the part is to fix it, can be found for a nominal price.

The mechanic sounds like a FIRST CLASS DUNCE, hasn't one single clue. Does he have a shop, or is he the "shade tree" version?

Ask Dennis to post that parts catalog pic.

He has his own shop. I'm giving him until tomorrow and then calling the relocation company to have it hauled out to NC. Bill, I cannot explain in words how upset I am. What about my question on the power steering option. From looking under the hood the PS looks factory/./

Fellro

Staff member

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
What about my question on the power steering option. From looking under the hood the PS looks factory/./
I dunno whether the P/S is factory installed or not, but the guy's a DUNCE! What part of the column that would pertain to 'looseness' would be for P/S only?

Nothing...the guy does not have a single clue.

How about this: C5AZ7675A .. Overdrive Free Wheel Unit Assy, includes (12) 16H-7679-A Roller Bearings (which were also available separately).

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I can only see it make a difference if the column was a different age than the truck. If it is such an issue, then he could go with a floor shifter, if he can't get anything else figured out.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
I dunno whether the P/S is factory installed or not, but the guy's a DUNCE! What part of the column that would pertain to 'looseness' would be for P/S only?

Nothing...the guy does not have a single clue.

How about this: C5AZ7675A .. Overdrive Free Wheel Unit Assy, includes (12) 16H-7679-A Roller Bearings (which were also available separately).

am paraphrasing, but he said the column he ordered was for a 1970, which is what I have, but that somewhere along the line PS was added to my truck and would have required a 64-69 column tube??? Hell, he has given me so many excuses they are running together.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
I can only see it make a difference if the column was a different age than the truck. If it is such an issue, then he could go with a floor shifter, if he can't get anything else figured out.

He had the wrong part in his shop for 2 weeks before he realized it was the wrong part. That was at 5:00 PM the night before I was leaving for Hickory (carrying my truck I though and hauling my bike). Ended up scrambling for a U-Haul trailer to haul my bike with...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It's a 1970, so the P/S would be Ford integral P/S as original. If P/S was added after the fact, it's still gonna be Ford P/S...but what the column would be from, is anyone's guess.

Doesn't really matter, since there's only a coupla parts that could cause the column to become loose internally. Upper/lower bearings are available from Ford.

At the bottom of the column is a plastic bearing retainer assy. It's obsolete and there are two types, depending on the year of the column, but there are scads of both available NOS.

Ditto for the M/T shift collar...the same type was used from 1965 thru 1977.

The problem is, the OP doesn't know what's wrong, and the mechanic has abso-tutly no clue.

wareagle: The guy claims he got a 1970 column (which I would assume came from a junkyard), but unless it was REMOVED from a 1970 truck, who knows if it was correct?

Coupla decades ago, I was looking for a 1965 anodized grille...I put it on the wrecking yard hotline. I received five grilles, not ONE was correct! 4 were from a 1962, another from a 1964.

Bottom line is: Most junkyards wouldn't know a 1970/72 F100/350 P/S column from a 1963, 1973 or lawd knows what!

Most people today, whether working in dealerships, parts stores or wrecking yards...do not know SQUAT about these old trucks. Nor can they tell what years they are...by lookin' at them.

Last edited:
scan0048.jpg

NONTiltcolumn2.jpg

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
FYI:

This 1973 illustration of the steering column is IDENTICAL to the one that appears in the 1964/72 truck parts catalog (Illustration Section 35, page 8) for 1965/72's.

Upper/lower bearings: 3517 / Lower bearing retainer: 3D681

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
It's a 1970, so the P/S would be Ford integral P/S as original. If P/S was added after the fact, it's still gonna be Ford P/S...but what the column would be from, is anyone's guess.

Doesn't really matter, since there's only a coupla parts that could cause the column to become loose internally. Upper/lower bearings are available from Ford.

At the bottom of the column is a plastic bearing retainer assy. It's obsolete and there are two types, depending on the year of the column, but there are scads of both available NOS.

Ditto for the M/T shift collar...the same type was used from 1965 thru 1977.

The problem is, the OP doesn't know what's wrong, and the mechanic has abso-tutly no clue.

wareagle: The guy claims he got a 1970 column (which I would assume came from a junkyard), but unless it was REMOVED from a 1970 truck, who knows if it was correct?

Coupla decades ago, I was looking for a 1965 anodized grille...I put it on the wrecking yard hotline. I received five grilles, not ONE was correct! 4 were from a 1962, another from a 1964.

Bottom line is: Most junkyards wouldn't know a 1970/72 F100/350 P/S column from a 1963, 1973 or lawd knows what!

Most people today, whether working in dealerships, parts stores or wrecking yards...do not know SQUAT about these old trucks. Nor can they tell what years they are...by lookin' at them.

I don't know what to say. This guy is blaming me for everything... Saying the Vin is not a 1970 when I got the original build sheet from Ford saying it was a 1970. He is so full of crap that I'm absoultely going nuts. I am 587 miles away from this POS or I would go out there and watch everything he is doing. He says he won't release the truck with a check, only cash money. That is what he told my wife. I called him right back and said he is going to take a check and be happy about it. I'm not the one trying to rip someone off, he is. He was recommended by a good friend, and I'm going to let this friend know what kind of an ******* this guy is.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Thanks guys for the blowup diagrams of the tranny. Hopefully I won't have to use them, but it is awesome to see the innards of it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts