Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tire size and speedometer

Thinking about larger 20 inch tires for my Excursion and 04 F250.
Do I need to do something about the speedometer, or just accept an inaccurate reading?

Thanks for any replies

blacksnapon

Staff member
Do I need to do something about the speedometer, or just accept an inaccurate reading?

Thanks for any replies
I believe your dealer can program your ex to compensate for the larger tire/wheel configuration.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
as long as the overall diameter of your tire and wheel is not bigger than stock i think you'll be fine.

The diameter will probably be more judging from a quick look at the newer rigs with factory 20 inch wheels compared to the 16's on my rigs.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
yeah, I'd rely on your dealer to reprogram that stuff. I'm not sure how the newer model works, but I know it's digitally configured. Even my 94 is with a magnet in the differential.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
absolutely. Welcome to the site. Stick around and hang with us in the general areas when your ford isn't out of commission.

... which we know is MOST of the time.

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
This is a piece of instruction for replacing a pcm on an 04 f250, (you're not, but you get the idea). Failure to properly program Tire Size in revolutions per mile, (rev/mile - 63,360 divided by the tire circumference in inches) Axle Ratio, 4x4/4x2, and/or Manual/Electronic shift on the fly (MSOF/ESOF) may result in codes: P1635, P1639. You may be instructed to contact the As-Built Data Center for the information needed to manually update the VID block with the scan tool. Contact the center only if the old PCM cannot be used or the data is corrupt. For Ford and Lincoln Mercury technicians, contact your National Hotline or the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website for As-Built data listed under the Service Publications Index. Non-Ford technicians use the Motorcraft® website at www.motorcraft.com. From the Motorcraft® homepage, use the search function to find the Module Programming or As-Built Data.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Possum

Georgia Chapter member

Thanks for any replies

My 07 has 35's on 17 inch wheels, according to my GPS, my speedo is
off by about 5mph at 55-60mph.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My 07 has 35's on 17 inch wheels, according to my GPS, my speedo is
off by about 5mph at 55-60mph.

Mine has 36's on 15" wheels and is off by close to 10 at around 60mph.

I use a gps, which is in all our vehicles and that's always worked good for me. Our gps units have the speed limits posted on the screen as well as our own, which has been super accurate.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts