Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Good Deal on Castrol Tection Extra

I posted a Q over in the oil forum, but have done enough research myself and decided to switch from Delo 400 LE to Castrol Tection Extra (both CJ-4 rated). Hope this can stay in the diesel forums, since it's really an HDEO short time deal!

here ya' go:

I ended up buying 12 gallons of this oil, and it became very cheap in the end (for what I believe is a good product).

Here's how the deal on this oil came together: When I tried to buy the oil through partsamerica.com and found they didn't want to ship it, I had filled out enough info for them to put me on the mailing list. They sent me this coupon via email (hope the link works for you) http://http://www.partsamerica.com/CurrentSales.aspx
It's good for $20 off of any purchase over $100 (through tomorrow). I called my local store (Kragens) and they held 12 gallons, printed out the partsamerica page showing the oil as it's cheaper there than Kragen ($8.79/gal) and they'll price match, plus printed out the $20 off coupon -- Kragens happily did both, so now we're at $7.19/gallon. Then there's a Castrol rebate good 'til the end of the year of $6 off every 3 gallons, up to 4 rebates per household (see castrol.com and look for promotions on the TX page). So that makes it $5.19 per gallon. But it get's better and they have a little sign in the store that says to ask a salesperson about the "holiday bonus bucks" if you spend more than $50. Yes, a $10 cash card good for your next purchase, good thru Jan., which makes it $4.36 a gallon. This is getting close to a Fram filter sale sort of thing!!

Some extra skinny on the oil off the Delo 400 and Castrol Tection Extra product data sheets (both CJ-4):

Flash Point:
Delo= 399 deg F
TX= 450 deg F

Pour Pt:
Delo= -22 deg F
TX= -43.6 deg F

TBN:
Delo= 9.6
TX= 10

VI:
Delo= 131
TX= 136

I think (MHO) the Tection looks like a better oil than Delo, based on some of the numbers...

Bad News

Thought I'd better post this info, in case anyone else is buying the Castrol...

I've got some bad news. I down-loaded the rebate form off the Castrol web site and got to reading through all the mumbo-jumbo on how to properly submit for your rebate. It's confusing, so I called Castrol.

Here's what they had to say:
You have to have a seperate sales receipts for each rebate ($6 for each 3 gals.). Each receipt is then sent in seperately with it's own hand filled out (not copied) rebate form, in a seperately mailed envelope...! :headbang:

what a Pain in the A$$... I'm going to go back to Kragen and see if they'll re-ring it up... :(

Just thot I'd let y'all know...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thought I'd better post this info, in case anyone else is buying the Castrol...

I've got some bad news. I down-loaded the rebate form off the Castrol web site and got to reading through all the mumbo-jumbo on how to properly submit for your rebate. It's confusing, so I called Castrol.

Here's what they had to say:
You have to have a seperate sales receipts for each rebate ($6 for each 3 gals.). Each receipt is then sent in seperately with it's own hand filled out (not copied) rebate form, in a seperately mailed envelope...! :headbang:

what a Pain in the A$$... I'm going to go back to Kragen and see if they'll re-ring it up... :(

Just thot I'd let y'all know...
good information, and detective work!

And welcome, BTW!
c6seeya2.gif

Thanks Polarbear -- good to see ya' again...

Back on the topic: The rebates are coming in way faster than others I've done: 3 out of the 4 checks are in (mailed each by itself like I mentioned above). This current offer ends with purchases made on or before 12/31, btw...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts