Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

automotive quiz not truck related

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok, its not truck related, but we'll try this one just to show how the technology is coming today. Got an 05 mustang that both windows come down 1/2" when you pull the door handle, but don't go back up automatically when you shut the door...................whats wrong?smilieeatndrink

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Do it for both doors, or just one? Dome light stay on too?

Maybe it's just that I drive a Ranger, but my first instict is that the switch on the door is sticking.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Bad GEM..................

Wiring chafed from being too close to the actuator rod?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
hehehehehehe. i have had a couple of these when i was at the car shop. these make guys start reading. too bad it is so easy..........

dang smart window motors.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ok, its not truck related, but we'll try this one just to show how the technology is coming today.Uh huh...if it's a ragtop, nothing new here. Got an 05 mustang that both windows come down 1/2" when you pull the door handle, but don't go back up automatically when you shut the door...................whats wrong?smilieeatndrink
Nothing, maybe.

Is it a convertible? If so, it's prolly designed that way.

The top overlaps the doors, so the window glass must drop a bit for clearance when being opened. The glass stays in that position when the door is closed, and then must be raised by way of the switch.

Nothing new here, either.

The rear doors on 1961/67 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertibles did the exact same thing. The ragtop roof tapered at the rear covering the top edge of the glass, so when the rear doors were opened, the glass dropped down.

When the door was closed, the glass went up automatically.

That was the idea, but those rear door limiter switches (C4LY-14A167-A I sold so many I remember the p/n) shorted out on a regular basis..in either position..so now you have two problems. The glass won't come back up, or the glass won't drop down = and when that happened, the doors couldn't be opened, unless the top was raised. :(

The electrical gremlins that operated that convertible top were a PITA.

Here's what happened: First the decklid comes up, then the top folds down, then the decklid comes back down, with a hidden section that folds out from the decklid to cover the top well. None of this worked worth a scheiss when the cars were only a few years old. The 1961/66 T-Bird rags do the same thing, as did the 1957/59 Skyliners, with the flip-flop steel roof.

Wanna see an electricians nightmare?

Pull out the rear seat...Ach du Lieber!! The 21 relays (!!), the switches...the wiring. Oh the humanity!

Ah technology..ain't it great.

Mechanics say partsmen have it easy. Yeah right, we gotta look all this crap up in the parts catalogs...I'd like to see a mechanic try that!

Last edited:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Ok, its not truck related, but we'll try this one just to show how the technology is coming today. Got an 05 mustang that both windows come down 1/2" when you pull the door handle, but don't go back up automatically when you shut the door...................whats wrong?smilieeatndrink

Door latches behind the door panel jamming the power windows when the handles are pulled open.

That would be my guess

Gunner

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts