Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

cold weather on the diesel

I am having trouble with my 2001 f350 powerstroke 7.3L starting this winter. I am plugging it in and have used fuel additive. I just purchased the truck and the previous owner stated that the glow plugs were recently changed. There also is a sound like a vaccum leak at about 20-25mph with the rpms at 1500. Any suggestions would be great. This is the first diesel I have owned so I am new to this world.

THanks

I moved this to the 7.3 PSD forum so that you might get more opinions...

BTW, welcome to FTF!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I am having trouble with my 2001 f350 powerstroke 7.3L starting this winter. I am plugging it in and have used fuel additive. I just purchased the truck and the previous owner stated that the glow plugs were recently changed. There also is a sound like a vaccum leak at about 20-25mph with the rpms at 1500. Any suggestions would be great. This is the first diesel I have owned so I am new to this world.

THanks
Lots of things to look at here. Glow plug relay or module, check valve in the high pressure oil reservoir, fuel filters/pump, icp/ipr sensors, even oil changes/proper oil. Vacuum leak sound may even be a cracked/leaking exhaust.

If you had a vacuum leak you would have a hard time steering when not moving, or it would take for ever to change from vent,defrost,floor. Diesels dont create vacuum, they have a pump driven off the belt to create vacuum. I betcha its what blackspoon said, an exhaust leak... Easy to tell by black carbon buildups any where on the manafold/up pipes, turbo flange exhaust.

For the cold start problems it could be alot of things as said. Batterys, glowplugs, glowplug relay, valve cover gaskets and under valve cover wiring harness. More info on how it starts would be good.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts