Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

You can say I told you so now

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Everybody said it would happen, and it did. I broke my driver side axle. It's a Dana 44, but I have no idea what it's out of. So if anyones got any suggestions of how to tell, I would appreiciate it. Ultimately I would like to get a Dana 60, but they are hard to find around these parts.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A D44 will have 1/2" bolts on the diff cover...a 60 will have 9/16" bolts. A D44 will also have ball joints...some 60's do too though. If the axle is a driver's side drop, chances are it's a 44 that came from under a Ford. Go ahead and get the 60...you can drop a few grand in a 44 to make it as strong as a 35 spline 60...and the 44 will be topped out for strength whereas the 60 mucho potential from there.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I know for a fact that it is a 44, I just don't know what it's out of, or what year it is. I would like to get a new axle to get me thru the winter and get a 60 after the first of the year. I'm just not sure what length axle to get, because i don't know what it came out of.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got a BOM tag on it? Any stampings? Might have to dig and scrape some crud off though.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Sorry man I'm trying to get the #'s but I work 2nd shift and haven't had a day off since thanksgiving. It's kinda hard to get out and dig around for them.

Axle

Not sure where you're from,but I'm gonna part/scrap my '84 F250.I live in Wellston,OH.and I'll give you an axle if you take it out

Larry #740-384-1984

Attachments

• indian summer II 003.jpg
  • indian summer II 002.jpg

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Larry thanks for the offer, but it looks like that's a TTB axle. I have a solid axle, and not sure if the shafts themselves will exchange. I'm in Lima, and from the looks of the map it would take about 2 hours to get to you. I really appreciate the offer, if I had more time on my hands I might have taken you up on it.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
So I finally got time to get some numbers 449F, I believe this notes that it is a D44, and C38681 which I believe is a casting number. From what I've been reading these came in 78-79 F250's and maybe some Bronco's. Can anyone confirm this? I'd really like to get a new axle and get the 4X4 working again. Thanks guys.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
So i finally got confirmation... it's out of a '78 f-250. In case anyone wants to know or didn't know... Dana stamped a number on the ring gear, and you can reference that number to find out what axle you have.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Cool info...didn't know it was actually on ring gear.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts