Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OK...New issue

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
OK let me start off by saying this is gonna be stricktly for this data if you wanna go on about getting rid of the truck we can bash in another thread! LOL

Took the truck to dyno on Friday. I was a little concerned about the oil pressure, but I had pressure just not as much as I would have liked. (attributed it to new motor) whether that was wrong or right so be it.

Pulled it on the dyno, truck started fine. got it warm, and everything seemed good.

We then went through and got the datalog set up and made a run with it. but it just seemed to not want to get up and go. almost like a plugged cat or something. (later after talking to Rick, my tuner we think the timing is one tooth off on the chain). Problem there should be easy to spot when I do a compression test.

I should be able to pull 150 psi EVERY time on EVERY cylinder. If it is low then my timing is off. easy fix.

Now for the main issue....Oil pressure.

First start up after the motor has been sitting. Perfect. Once you run the motor about, well, say one pull on the dyno, the pressure drops down to about 10 psi at idle. Not too bad. Then we made another pull on the dyno and I noticed that at full throttle we were still only pulling about 45 psi.(normally around 75-80 psi.) Then after we came down the pressure dropped to about 5 psi then 0 and the dummy light came on. After this we shut the motor down obviously. But there was NO engine knock WHATSOEVER. Motor sat for about 5 mins fired up and had about 20psi. Not what I want to see on first fire up and the motor had gotten harder to turn over. We thought it was due to a low battery so we put the charger on it to start. The motor ALMOST feels like it is getting "Tighter" the more I run it but the oil pressure drops.

I pulled the truck out of the dyno after sitting for about 20 Mins and the pressure was back up to about 40 on the mechanical guage.

Let it sit for about 6 hours while I ran to the house and grabbed the trailer, wife and kids. Got back up there and the truck fired right over and went up to about 70 psi on the oil guage.(At this point I am TOTALLY confused) drive it around still a dog, but pull it up on the trailer and still had pressure.

Now the numbers we pulled off the dyno are showing an absolute PERFECT tune! I was super glad to see those numbers. I mean my air/fuel and spark were spot on.

So anybody have any ideas as to what causes decreasing oil pressure and a "tighter" feeling motor the more it runs. The motor sounds perfect when it is running, no knocks, noises, anything. I mean she is purring like a kitten.

My only other option is to pull the motor again, and double check everything, but I would like to get some ideas as to what some of you might check.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get everything down. If you have any questions for me just hollar!

smilieFordlogo

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah run a compression test and go from there... you'll obviously gonna find it pretty quickly...

as far as the oil pressure, that is very confusing, sounds like the pickup tube is getting clogged..

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
That is what I was thinking too, but it doesn't explain the tightening of the motor...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
like it is not wanting to turn over, like the motor is almost siezing up, but not....

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
like it is not wanting to turn over, like the motor is almost siezing up, but not....

its quite possibly trying to.. if the oil pressure is that low, then the motor is getting low oiling... oil is lubrication, makes it easier for the engine to turn over and run...

best way i can describe it: a engine needs lubrication, to move easier, friction is the enemy, the less the lubrication (less oil pressure in this situation) the harder its gonna be to get it going from a dead stop (starting up)
similar to a burnout: burning out on dry pavement, is gonna be tougher than a water box or oil spot, a large water puddle or large oil puddle will be easiest to get going in as compared to a small spot of water or oil as its more lubrication...

now im sure you understand the basic concept but that explanation was for some who may not..

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Unless the idiot that put them in did it wrong.....I know the idiot that put them in.....wouldn't put it past him. Maybe not enough clearance, or too much?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thought here......... The bearings have holes to allow the oil to go through and support lubrication. If the bearings were mis-installed, no lubrication. Another thought, not enough clearance would prevent oil from entering the "clearance area", again no lubrication. Also, cylinder heads have passages to allow oil pressure to get to the camshaft journals. Excessive/insufficient camshaft journal clearances, intermittent failure of the restrictor in the cylinder head oil passages.

Fellro

Staff member
Rings would cause power issues, mains too loose or wrong size will cause issues, but the pressure shouldn't be changing. The 'tightening" could be scuffing of the cylinder walls due to not enough oil being slung on the cylinder walls as it passes out of the rod journals. It is possible the regulator valve int he oil pump was hanging as well. The harder turning could come also from the timing issues...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah well it is looking like the bearings more and more. I will pull the motor and see what is up.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
About 2 hours LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts