Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

MAF sensor on a 6.0

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Vince, BTH or any of our other fine 6.0 techs, have any of you seen or heard about some 05 6.0 PSD trucks coming from FMC with No MAF sensor, just and IAT1 sensor at the pre-turbo air intake?

I was under the impression that all 6.0 PSD had a MAF/IAT1 sensor as a single combined unit installed pre-turbo at the air intake.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I asked our parts man, and the answer he gave was that in 05 there was 2 choices in air cleaner assemblies, 50 state and 49 state. 50 state came with maf sensor, 49 state comes with all sensors (I know, but thats what it says). They use the same illustration in the parts catalogue.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I asked our parts man, and the answer he gave was that in 05 there was 2 choices in air cleaner assemblies, 50 state and 49 state. 50 state came with maf sensor, 49 state comes with all sensors (I know, but thats what it says). They use the same illustration in the parts catalogue.

Okay now i am confused. The 50 State has a MAF sensor, and the 49 State has All sensors.

So does that mean that the 50 State has a MAF sensor only, and the 49 State has a MAF/IAT1 sensor combination?

Or

Does that mean that the 49 State version does not have a MAF sesnor at all just a IAT sensor?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Okay now i am confused. The 50 State has a MAF sensor, and the 49 State has All sensors.

So does that mean that the 50 State has a MAF sensor only, and the 49 State has a MAF/IAT1 sensor combination?

Or

Does that mean that the 49 State version does not have a MAF sesnor at all just a IAT sensor?
You now know as much as I do.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Thank you Vince for looking into this. It would be interesting to see those two parts side by side and possibly see what the difference is.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Vince,

I was talking to the NC 6.0 tuner today, and he said for about 6-8 weeks FMC produced Non-CA emissions 2005 6.0 PSD that only had an IAT in the air intake pre-trubo and no MAF sensor at all. It did not work out to well, and it can cause severe turbo surge. So FMC started using the MAF/IAT1 sensor combinations again.

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I guess on the bright side Vince, if you get one of these in your service bay at least you will know what you are dealing with. YelloThumbUp

Cooper817

Certified Ford Tech
vgt only looks at map baro and ebp, but there are some 05 6.0 that do not have maf, hope that helps

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts