Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any thoughts on the new Fiesta?

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Ashley's looking for a new car and seems to like it (mainly because you can load it out for less than a lot of basic package new cars).

Anyone know anything about it yet? Granted it's brand new but if anyone knows it'd be you guys.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Great cars, great price, great gas mileage. But, personally, I'd wait for the new Focus for some more space.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I mostly hear good things...though I have to say, if I was shopping, I'd be awful tempted by the Mazda2 over the Fiesta. Same platform, but I think it's a prettier car (as long as it's not painted green), and cheaper for the options I want.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I mostly hear good things...though I have to say, if I was shopping, I'd be awful tempted by the Mazda2 over the Fiesta. Same platform, but I think it's a prettier car (as long as it's not painted green), and cheaper for the options I want.

But it's always smiling at you!

3181934_349_full.jpg

Okay, that's the wrong model, but I've been wanting to use that pic for a while. smilietease

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Mike Rowe says Fiesta all the way.smilieFordlogo

Mike Rowe says "They're going to give this truck/car/SUV/CUV to me after this commercial." :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I checked some out when car shopping with Bailee, I didn't think they were bad. Not nearly enough room for someone my size (6'5" 330lbs) to be comfortable. But I thought the thing could scoot pretty well. For a chick car, I thought it could be a very capable car.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Really?

I assume you mean the one they call the "automatic" and the one they call the "manual" is a conventional manual shift trans?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Transaxle Description
This DPS6 is a fully automatic, dry dual clutch, automatic shifting manual, electronically controlled 6-speed transaxle.

Its abbreviated designation DPS6 means:

D — Dry Dual Clutch
P — Powershift
S — Synchronized
6 — 6-speed transaxle
This transaxle features the following:

Computer Control with electro-mechanical actuation
Two piece aluminum housing design
Six (6) discrete stepped forward gears and one (1) reverse gear
Dual Output shafts with two separate final drive ratios
Full ball and roller bearing design for all gears and shafts
All gears are bevel cut for improved NVH characteristics and power transfer
All gears are in constant mesh for no loss of torque during the shifting process
All cast construction of shift fork/linkage mechanisms
This transaxle features two nested input shafts driven by a compact dry dual clutch system. These two shafts are used in conjunction with each other to provide seamless shifting through the six (6) available ratios with overdrive in the two top gears. As each gear is selected, the appropriate clutch is activated to drive the vehicle. Each consecutive gear is then preselected for the next “shift” operation as power is shifted from one clutch to the other and back again as moving up and down through the individual gears

This transaxle is designed to be operated in the same manner as a conventional torque converter equipped automatic transaxle. It provides the smooth application of power, but with the bonus of efficiencies found only in a manual transaxle. By delivering the power with a dual clutch system, fluid volume is limited to less than 2 liters as compared against a conventional automatic transaxle, and that is only within the gearbox case itself. The actuation of the clutch system is controlled by a dedicated computer through two individual electrically driven clutch motors and actuator systems.

This transaxle provides six (6) discrete forward ratios with overdrive in the top two gears and a reverse gear, giving a continuous flow of power for acceleration and deceleration

The selector lever gives the driver a choice of P, R, N, D and L.

With the selector lever in the D position, you can operate the Transmission Control Switch (TCS)/Grade Assist switch on the selector lever to prevent the transaxle from shifting into 6th gear.

If a fault occurs continued motoring is guaranteed in the following limited conditions based on the failure: 1st, 3rd and 5th gear if a fault with clutch 2 and/or relational components occurs. 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse if a fault with clutch 1 and/or relational components occurs.

This transaxle can be tested using a scan tool through the Data Link Connector (DLC) in the passenger compartment.

Internal components are based on manual transaxle technologies that include:
Dry friction clutches to transmit power between the engine and transaxle
Lay shaft gearing for high efficiency and uncoupled ratio selection
Rotating sequential shift drums for fast response
Synchronizers with dog clutches to pre-select and direct the power flow
Splash fluid lubrication without filter and external oil coolers
This transaxle is two transaxles within one housing that share a common:
Final drive which includes two output shaft pinions
Differential assembly
Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor
Transmission Range (TR) sensor
Park system
Transmission Control Module (TCM)
The first output shaft consists of three odd gear ratios (1st, 3rd & 5th):
Odd input clutch and actuator system including a clutch motor
Odd or inner input shaft with input shaft speed sensor 1 and related speed gears
Odd synchronizer system including a clutch motor, shift drum, shift forks and transfer assemblies.
The second output shaft consists of three even gear ratios and reverse (2nd, 4th, 6th & Reverse):
Even input clutch and actuator system including a clutch motor
Outer or hollow input shaft with input shaft speed sensor 2 and related speed gears.
Even synchronizer system including a clutch motor, shift drum, shift forks and transfer assemblies

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'd be lying if I said that all made perfect sense, but it makes enough sense for me to be seriously impressed...

Thanks, Vince- learned something new today.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Wow. So do you get the cost of a clutch replacement down the road, added to the cost of rebuilding an automatic too?

Great technology, but boy does that seem like it's gonna cost quite a bit down the road when it's time for a transmission rebuild.

My dad's C6 was $600 to completely rebuild.
My old Ranger was $1200 completely rebuilt, at the same place my dad had his rebuilt.

I'd hate to see what this new stuff is gonna cost...

Fellro

Staff member
It is in essence a computer shifted manual transmission, similar in nature to the "automatic"heavy duty trucks out there, but they are airshifted computer controlled units. Be interesting to see how well the servos hold up... Many transfer case motors have gone bad with less use...

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I'm quite curious about that transmission, especially in terms of off the line response. Is it going to be instantaneous right when you put the pedal to it, or is there going to be a delay as it lets the clutch in.

As Ian said, I find that quite impressive.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm quite curious about that transmission, especially in terms of off the line response. Is it going to be instantaneous right when you put the pedal to it, or is there going to be a delay as it lets the clutch in.

As Ian said, I find that quite impressive.
It'll feel like the automatics of old.

Ford Truck Articles