Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1997 f-150 Oil Pressure problem

My truck has 198,000 miles on it and very few problems but there is one that has me stumped.

Whenever my engine is at idle, or I go in reverse, my oil pressure gauge drops to zero and the low oil light turns on. Often if I put the car in neutral the gauge will return to normal. It doesn't seem to effect the way the truck runs other than the fact that the gauge drops to zero and oil light turns on when I am stopped in drive. Why is this happening? Am I harming my truck? What's wrong?!?!?! I am broke and can't afford a mechanic. Any ideas? Thanks!

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
The "gauge" is actually a disguised idiot light...at ~7-8 psi it goes from pegged to middle of the gauge and sits there.

200k on the clock...probably a couple leaky seals here and there, oil pressure is just dipping right around 7 psi when in gear (and thus, idling lower), triggering both the gauge and light to indicate a problem. Not a huge problem if it jumps right up above idle.

First thing to do is to check the oil level (sure you've done it already), and most importantly get a real mechanical gauge on the engine and find out what the actual oil pressure is.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Oil pickup tube could be partially clogged as well. they are a pain to get to with the motor in the truck. start easy first though.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts