Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how the heck to get it into 4 LO?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok guys.. i was playing around in the Explorer the other day and was out in my friends field and was in 4 Hi and i came to his hill... and i tried it in 4 Hi and couldnt make it, so i was gonna put it into 4 Low but it wouldnt Engage..

i tried rolling at a slow speed while flipping the switch, i tried stopped in neutral, i've tried everyway i can think of....

what am i missing? it'll go into 4 Hi without issue....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Did'ja try waiting, stopped in neutral? My Ranger takes a couple seconds to engage low-range, while high-range is virtually instantaneous.

That's what you're supposed to do (stopped, neutral)...but it seems I've heard of issues with rigs that never get shifted into low getting balky.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
On mine, I crawl underneath it and engage the lever on the transfercase by hand... :D

(I haven't found the last part of my linkage yet)

offroadkarter

New Jersey Chapter member
NJ
I always do it foot on brake and in neutral, never done it in park.. this is for a 94 and 97 with the full time 4wd.

I always do it foot on brake and in neutral, never done it in park.

that is how i shift my 2000 into 4low. wait a few seconds and you'll hear it shift. if it doesn't shift take your foot off the brake and make sure the explorer finds its "resting spot". once it settles into a spot, hold the brake again and shift it and it should go. and odvosly the 4low light should come on in the dash

On mine, I crawl underneath it and engage the lever on the transfercase by hand... :D

(I haven't found the last part of my linkage yet)

:hehehm:

So you find that linkage??

Ford Truck Articles